March 31, 197113 students arrested in tower drug raidsThirteen drug arrests were made in the Tower dormitories during the last two weeks of Winter Quarter, 11 on one day.

The arrests were the result of an intensive investigation by campus police, according to Donald Hanna, campus director of public safety.

On March 11, 11 arrests were made, ten in Lincoln Tower and one in Morrill.

University police confiscated one kilogram of marijuana, which they valued at $180, and small quantities of amphetamines, mescaline, and LSD tablets.

April 1, 1980Jesse Owens’ deathOhio State lost a favorite son with the death of Jesse Owens early Monday in Tucson. He was 66.

Owens’ death comes just five days before the Board of Trustees is to discuss proposals to name three campus recreation centers after the former Buckeye and Olympic great.

Owens’ name sparks memories of a gifted young athlete, excelling at Ohio State during his sophomore year in the 60, 100 and 200 yard dashes as well as the 220 low hurdles and the broad jump.

Gov. James A. Rhodes Monday praised Owens as “the greatest athlete of our times,” and said Owens “was a personal friend from his days at Ohio State and as a page in the Ohio General Assembly.”

April 1, 1997University to install bike parking metersIn attempt to raise money to diffuse the rising cost of athletics and the lawsuits stemming from bicycle accidents, university officials will install parking meters at bicycle racks across campus.

Meters will be installed by the end of the month, said James E. Stevens Jr., associate vice president in the department of physical facilities.

“It will cost 50 cents for an hour if students wish to park,” Stevens said. “If students do not pay, we will confiscate the bikes and sell them if they are not claimed within 30 days. We will make our money one way or the other.”

Ohio State President E. Gordon Gee said that it was an “excellent idea.”

“Given the budget situation and the tuition cap that is in effect, it is paramount that we raise as much money as we can from students and families connected with the university,” Gee said.

Student reaction has been varied.

March 31, 2000Gas prices on the riseWith gas prices steadily increasing over the past year, many drivers have found themselves pinching pennies in order to keep up with the increased cost of driving.

In early 1999, the national average price of a gallon of gasoline was 92 cents. Today, the national average is $1.55.

Several Ohio State students have been negatively affected by these rising prices.

“I do a lot of driving,” said Liz Dyer, an undecided freshman. “It’s taken a lot of my money.”

April 4, 2003Sorority house fireThe smell of smoke still lingers at 55 E. 15th Ave. after an early morning fire Wednesday gutted the third floor of the Kappa Kappa Gamma sorority house.

The blaze that started in a third-floor bedroom was caused by an electrical problem involving a hair curler and ruled an accident by the fire department. It resulted in about $80,000 in damages.

Firefighters responded to the call at about 3 a.m. and had the fire under control within 20 minutes, said Kelly McGuire, a spokeswoman for the Columbus Division of Fire.

One firefighter, Chris Pillar, was hospitalized for smoke inhalation. He was treated at the Ohio State University Medical Center and was quickly released to finish the rest of his shift, McGuire said. All of the sorority members exited the house safely, thanks to working smoke detectors.