In the newsroom, it’s not unusual for publishers to mail us books they hope will be reviewed in The Lantern — the unusual thing is the books we end up getting. For every normal book we get, we also receive two or three books that normally would not be seriously considered for inclusion. But because there seems to be such a theme, we thought we should let readers know what publishers think appeals to a college-aged audience.

“The Official High Times Pot Smoker’s Activity Book” by Natasha Lewin and The Editors of High Times Magazine

This book offers pot smokers everywhere games and party ideas to use while high. The editors of High Times magazine, “the world’s most trusted authority when it comes to getting baked,” (according to the publisher’s press release) wrote the book. “Weedoku” puzzles and “Toker Poker” are some of the games that are featured, but readers can also discover tips for hosting a ganja dinner party and how to better conceal the smell of their illegal habit. Readers can look within the front pages of the book to learn how to give themselves dreadlocks the “right way,” using bee’s wax, or the “wrong way,” using glue. There are “dozens of stoney-day” activities to keep any pot smoker entertained, according to the book’s cover.

“Let Me Put My Poems In You” by Matty Cox

This book is about everything the title suggests, but in poetry form — or “smut poetry” as the publishers call it. Think Tucker Max, only this author offers a different approach. The poems range in style and length, but the subject matter almost always features sex, women or alcohol. If you need any further description of this book, read this one-line poem featured in the opening pages, titled “Peter Piper, That Dirty Bugger:” “Peter Piper piped his peter in betweener.” That about says it all about this book.

“The Sexy Book of Sexy Sex” by Kristen Schaal and Rich Blomquist

Well, if you couldn’t guess, this book is about sex. It’s written by Schaal, a comedian and actress on HBO, and Blomquist, a writer for “The Daily Show with Jon Stewart,” which automatically turns the book into sex comedy. It’s complete with charts, illustrations and graphs, all of which are a spoof on the reality of sex. The book includes, among many other things, a sex hall of fame, the future of sex and a section dedicated to the dark side of sex, which ranges from several STDs to what the authors call a “female stomach parasite,” also known as a “kickworm” or “bun in the oven.” Obviously this book isn’t meant be used as an educational reference, but it’s good for a few laughs.