At the Beechwold Diner the atmosphere is cozy and food selection is just what the doctor ordered for the head-pounding, body-aching, hung-over college student.

Located at 4408 Indianola Ave., the diner has a marvelous selection of omelets; the chili omelet is one of the more interesting ones. Pancakes and French toast are available. For lunch, burgers and sandwiches are prominent on the menu. Dessert is offered, too, evident by the covered pie trays lined up on the counter.

Don’t expect a healthy section on the menu; the food here is delicious and fatty, which is what exactly I look for at a great breakfast and lunch place.

I ordered the western omelet, which had diced ham, green peppers, onions and a few pieces of mushroom. Omelets come with home fries and toast.

The omelet was appetizing, although I usually am not a big fan of mushrooms, but with the sliced up ham and crunchy peppers, it worked. I tend to stay away from home fries because I either get them way too soggy or so crusty and tasteless that I’ve come close to choking on them. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed Beechwold’s fries; I didn’t have to slather it in ketchup.

The bacon, which costs extra, was my favorite part. The strips were thick cut and the diner isn’t too stingy about how many it gives you. I’ve gotten only two weak, little slices at some places, so the three to four slices I receive at this diner makes me want to go back again.

For the food being so wonderful, the meal was very inexpensive. My bill there usually comes to $10 or less.

Breakfast and lunch hours are busy, but I love it then. It’s so loud and bustling with energy, you can hear the food cook and families talk over each other and servers yelling out orders.

Even the seating at the booths, which are worn in and so cushy I’ve wanted to pass out on them, add to that old-style diner feel that I always get when I come here.

The servers go along with the atmosphere and the food; they all have a no-nonsense attitude and are always smiling. They come when you need them and they check on you only a couple of times, which was fine by me (I hate when servers crowd you).

Warning: Concerning the busyness of the place, if you’re not a big fan of the counter, be prepared to wait for a booth, especially on the weekends. The wait isn’t usually too long; I’ve waited at the most 10 minutes, which felt like forever, but compared to other restaurants on a Saturday afternoon, 10 minutes is nothing.

Also, this place isn’t meant for a large crowd; booths can only accommodate four, maybe five people if you don’t mind being squeezed in.

Take out is available, but I would eat in. The food always comes out fast, even on busy days. Breakfast and lunch are served all day. The diner is open 6 a.m. to 3 p.m. Monday through Saturday, and 7 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sundays.