Home » Uncategorized » One-man play about Jewish, Italian parents comes to town

One-man play about Jewish, Italian parents comes to town

The off-Broadway production of “My Mother’s Italian, My Father’s Jewish and I’m in Therapy,” will be stopping in Columbus this weekend.

Three performances of the show will take place at the Lincoln Theatre, with one on Friday and two on Saturday.

The one-man show was created and originally performed by Steve Solomon, said Rolanda Copley, publicist for the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts.

This time, the show has been taken over by long time stand-up comedian Ron Tobin.

The show is a comedic compilation of all of the “wonderful, crazy and wacky” members of Solomon’s family, Tobin said.

“There are more than 30 different characters,” he said. “He keeps adding more characters to the show between his family and the people you encounter in real life.”

Some of these characters include the overbearing Italian mother, the sister who smokes and sees no wrong in it, even though she has a smoker’s voice and one lung, and the crazy grandfather.

You don’t have to be Jewish or Italian to enjoy and connect with the show, Tobin said.

“I’ve had people come up to me after the show and tell me ‘you’re right, you don’t have to be either to identify with (the show),'” he said.

People connect with or know someone just like all of the characters, Tobin said.

“It shows us that we’re all the same,” he said.

Tobin was chosen to take over this one-man show as Solomon works on various sequels of the show.

Tobin was recommended to Solomon by a mutual casting agent, Rick Morgan.

“He said ‘of course.’ He can do all of those voices,” Tobin said.

While most of the show is strictly scripted, Solomon built some freedom into the work.

“We can actually break down the fourth wall,” Tobin said. “I can have some intermingling and improve moments, and Steve trusts me with that.”

Tobin said he suggests people come ready to laugh at the comedy that proves to audience members they are not the only ones going through the challenges of life.

The show opens Friday night at 8 p.m., with two performances taking place on Saturday at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m.

Tickets are $42.50 and can be purchased through ticketmaster.com or at the Lincoln Theatre box office.