As the rain poured down the windows of the Archie Griffin Grand Ballroom of the Ohio Union on Friday night, Society of Sisters and Delta Xi Phi Multicultural Sorority Inc. kept the energy high as they hosted their first Globally Chic fashion show.

“We wanted to have an event where we can kind of push the boundaries of what diversity means,” said Theresa Thompson, a fourth-year in African-American and African studies and a member of DXP.

The event’s mission was to “unite women through the common thread of fashion” and to showcase ethnic diversity on campus.

The hosts began the show at 7:30 p.m., giving information about SOS, DXP and their respective philanthropic efforts.

SOS raised money for Charity Water, an organization that brings safe, clean drinking water to developing nations.

“This affects women and children, and we want to help women all over the world,” said Alexis Pounds, a fourth-year in marketing and SOS member. “They are the ones who go out and get the water. They walk miles for dirty water, which leaves them malnourished.”

Because DXP’s national philanthropy is the American Cancer Society, a representative spoke to the audience about their cause and a Relay for Life event.

“Our charity includes global efforts because cancer affects people all over the world,” Thompson said. “It’s geared toward women in the show.”

After introductions, the show kicked off with a belly dancer who represented the Egyptian region, and shortly after featured Buckeye Bhangra, an OSU organization that preformed traditional dances from India.

Vocal and musical performers were also integrated into the fashion show while the models walked the runway.

The show was split into sections, each featuring a different area of the world. The audience was able to hear music and see clothing that represented Egypt, India, Native America, Argentina, Asia, Trinidad and Tobago and West Africa.

Much of the clothing was donated from individuals within the OSU community as well as various multicultural organizations on campus.

SOS and DXP, who both came to Ohio State in 2009, came up with the idea and starting to fundraise last summer, Pounds said.

“As organizations, we may word our purposes differently, but they are generally the same. Bring women of all backgrounds together, forge sisterhood and to understand the strength that comes from community,” said Yetty Emanuel, a fourth-year in sociology and member of SOS.

“We partnered with DXP because they are a multicultural sorority, and we thought they could help us reach out to various organizations,” Pounds said. “We also wanted to do that collaboration funding-wise. We couldn’t do it on our own.”

Aside from their own fundraising, the Office of Student Life, Office of Outreach and Engagement and the Multicultural Center sponsored the event, Emanuel said.

The organizations also held two rounds of casting calls weeks before the show for the student models who volunteered on the runway.

Potential models were judged on their walk but also had to turn in applications to be considered. They answered questions dealing with their personal outlook on diversity, the meaning of sisterhood and how their everyday lives advocate for diversity, Emanuel said.

Nineteen male and female models were chosen, and their responses from their applications were featured along with their pictures on a slideshow presentation before the beginning of the show.

Domonique Roseman, a first-year in political science, went to support her friend who was a model in the show.

“I really liked it and it was for a good cause, supporting underprivileged children,” Roseman said.

Tickets for the event were available for a minimum donation of $5 before the show and for $7 at the door. They also held a raffle and sold jewelry that members of SOS made.

Although about 100 people attended and the organizers were hoping to have about 300 attend, they said they considered the show a success.

“We just wanted to connect people from all cultures and what better way to do that than fashion,” Pounds said.

Globally Chic raised $550, which will be split evenly between both charities.