In preparation for a looming marriage, a diverse group of wacky characters travel to Las Vegas and raise hell.

Even though “Bridesmaids” may sound like a woman’s answer to “The Hangover,” its importance extends beyond that.

“Bridesmaids” is a women’s ensemble comedy that exists in its own sphere. It’s not a romantic comedy, a Lifetime original movie or “Showgirls.”

The plot doesn’t center on men in any way. It has, dare I say it, three-dimensional characters.

It’s essentially a women’s version of a bromance — a sis-mance, if you will. The relationship statuses of the bridesmaids are important but they exist outside of trying to find Prince Charming.

Women are often relegated to flimsy, overly sexual roles in movies because Hollywood caters to a young, straight male audience, as many directors and writers are young, straight men.

So when a woman comes along who writes a movie that is legitimately funny, it deserves at least a small amount of attention.

The loud and obnoxious comedy-style format in “Bridesmaids” has proven to be successful before, with films like “The Hangover.”

They’re not intelligent films. They’re just funny. They also have almost no women.

Men outnumber women in speaking roles 2-to-1 and are more likely to appear naked, according to a recent study at the University of Southern California. That doesn’t sound funny to me.

I’m not asking to be empowered. I’m asking for some well-rounded characters.

“Bridesmaids” may or may not be that movie. Regardless, it deserves at least some praise.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I’ve got to get back to the kitchen.