Packing up for the summer is one of the hardest things for any shopaholic. Most of us try to plan for everything and end up bringing everything home, even though it doesn’t all fit in our closet. This is unnecessary and you will end up feeling overwhelmed this summer by sweaters and jackets that you never knew you didn’t need.

The first step is to make a list. Try to decide what your bare essentials are: shorts, T-shirts, tank tops, bathing suits and flip-flops. You will wear these multiple times throughout the summer months and absolutely need to take them home. I also suggest packing some light cardigans and a few sweatshirts for those breezy nights.

If you have an internship this summer, make sure to pack your business attire including dress pants, blouses, dresses and high heels and flats. These are extremely important, especially if your internship is out-of-state or more than a few hours away — it might be hard to find time to come back to Columbus for forgotten clothing.

Next, make a list of some clothing you might need for the first few weeks of September. This should contain jeans, long sleeve shirts, leggings and riding boots. Keep in mind, you will only be home for two weeks that month, so don’t feel like you need to bring

it all home with you. It might still be warm, so your summer clothes might work just fine, too.

Really think about what shoes you will need to bring with you. This will probably be the most difficult list to make. You really won’t need your Uggs or other shoes related to the winter months. Any suede booties or pumps should probably be put in storage too since suede is a material that is meant for colder months. Make sure to bring home any flip-flops, tennis shoes, wedges, leather boots and rain boots. Your wellies will be lifesavers during summer thunderstorms.

When it comes to packing all these clothes, it’s probably easiest to use extra large duffel bags and roll everything. It might take a little more time, but you will be able to fit so much more into one bag. You really shouldn’t need more than two duffels to fit all your summer clothing.

If you are storing some of your wardrobe in Columbus for the summer, there are a few things you will definitely want to leave behind. You can be sure you won’t need a winter down jacket, peacoat or Ugg boots. While it may be tempting to take all your boots home, be realistic about how much you will actually wear them (remember — two weeks in September). Limit yourself to one pair that goes with everything.

Some of you may be planning on bringing everything home. That’s OK too. But consider separating your warm weather and colder weather clothing so you can keep the things you won’t need under your bed or in a storage closet at home.

Whatever you choose, don’t be afraid to part with some clothing for the summer. If you’re worried about losing something, the lists will serve as a makeshift inventory of your wardrobe so you’ll be ready for Fall Quarter.

Happy summer!