Ohio State football player Jaamal Berry has been named a suspect in an alleged assault that occurred Friday morning, according to a report from the Columbus Police Department. It is the second incident involving Berry allegedly assaulting another individual in four weeks.

The latest incident took place at 2:20 a.m. Friday on Vine Street, behind North Market, and involved a 21-year-old Columbus State Community College student. The victim was “struck in the face with a closed fist,” according to the Columbus police report.

OSU athletic director Gene Smith said the athletic department is aware that Berry might have been involved in an altercation, and that he has spoken with Berry.

“We have not been informed by anyone else that charges have been filed,” Smith told The Lantern Monday. “If Jaamal is charged, he will be suspended pending the outcome of the case.”

Berry, a redshirt sophomore running back, was with another African-American male and was allegedly yelling at the victim and his friend, after the victim was struck by a car. The victim, who The Lantern has chosen not to name at this time, said that Berry and his friend were yelling vulgar remarks at him. After asking why they were yelling, the victim said that Berry crossed the street and punched his friend, and then punched him in the face with a closed fist.

Berry was later identified by a witness, and the alleged victim said he confirmed Berry’s identity when shown a picture by police.

The victim’s mother, who requested anonymity, said she spoke with Smith about the incident Friday afternoon. Berry and other witnesses involved did not immediately respond to The Lantern’s requests for comment.

On Sept. 28, Berry was involved in what an OSU police report described as an “assault” on another student. Berry was admitted and released from the OSU Medical Center and no charges were filed. In this incident, two males were witnessed “wrestling on the ground” in the South Oval, according to a police report.

The primary witness was a university employee who declined to comment, but said in the police report that Berry was muttering things such as “I don’t know what is going on around me.” The report said Berry “appeared confused and disoriented and was unable to tell me his name.”

In 2009, Berry was arrested on a marijuana possession charge in Miami, Fla.

Berry dressed for the Michigan State game on Oct. 1, the first game after his Sept. 28 incident. He has appeared in the past two football games and has had three rushes for five yards so far this season.

OSU had a bye week this past weekend, and continues action against the No. 12 Wisconsin Badgers on Saturday in Columbus.