Boyd Laboratory, built 78 years ago, is gone.

Boyd, formerly located at 155 W. Woodruff Ave., is the first of four campus buildings being torn down to make way for the new Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Chemistry Building.

Johnston Laboratory, the Aviation Building and Haskett Hall will also be razed as part of a more than $1.9 million demolition, said Brendan Flaherty, a construction manager for Ohio State’s Facilities Operations and Development.

The demolition of Johnston Laboratory should begin Thursday, Flaherty said. Construction crews are working on demolition until Nov. 23, and then taking a break until Dec. 12.

“We’re taking off for the quiet time before finals and all of finals week,” Flaherty said. “No noisy demolition.”

Once deconstruction resumes during winter break, 19th Avenue will be shut down and demolition of the Aviation Building will begin, Flaherty said.

The street must be re-opened by Dec. 30, and demolition on Haskett Hall will begin in January, Flaherty said.

In May, The Lantern reported that the total project development for the CBEC is $126 million. The 225,000-gross-square-foot building will “create laboratory space with the proper floor-to-floor height, structural dimension and environmental stability to support intensive research,” according to the FOD website.

FOD is also replacing air filters on the HVAC units of the Physic Research Building and Koffolt Laboratories, Flaherty said.

The demolition of all four buildings is scheduled to be completed by May 8, 2012. Flaherty said construction of the CBEC will begin next summer.