Ohio State field hockey announced the hiring of former Dartmouth University coach and Doncaster, England, native, Andy Smith as assistant coach this week.

Smith replaces Jon O’Haire on the team’s staff and is due to make $55,000 in 2012, OSU athletics spokesman Dan Wallenberg said in an email.

Smith helped lead the Big Green for 10 seasons, six of which were spent as associated head coach. He joins OSU coach Anne Wilkinson’s staff just months after the Buckeyes’ 2011 campaign, which saw the team achieve a 12-9 overall record and a berth in the NCAA tournament.

The Dartmouth athletic department did not immediately respond to The Lantern’s request for comment regarding Smith’s departure from the program.

“I am extremely grateful to (OSU athletic director) Gene Smith and Anne Wilkinson for the opportunity to be part of the Ohio State field hockey program,” Andy Smith said in a Tuesday press release. “My family and I are delighted to be moving to Columbus. I join a university and athletics department that are known for excellence and look forward to helping Ohio State compete at the highest level.”

Andy Smith helped lead the Big Green to a 10-7 overall record and a 5-2 record in Ivy League play in 2011.

Wilkinson said in a release that she is excited to have a coach of Andy Smith’s caliber join the program.

“He is an outstanding coach in all aspects — on the field, in the classroom and as a recruiter of exceptional student athletes,” Wilkinson said. “We are proud that Andy and his family will be a part of the outstanding tradition of The Ohio State University.”

Andy Smith was not made available for comment.