For the last four quarters, I have wanted to take a physical activity class here at OSU. Every quarter when I’m planning my schedule, and about five back-ups because being blocked out of classes is a nightmare, I always check on the classes available at the RPAC. There are a ton of classes that I would love to take offered every quarter: yoga, boxing, badminton, tumbling, table tennis, etc. I could keep going, but the point is that we have a ton of great options.

The catch? Most of these classes are offered between 9 a.m. and 2 p.m., a time when I’m typically at other classes. While I’d love to take yoga and push economics off for another quarter, I can’t really rationalize that to myself, or my parents, for that matter. So in my year and a quarter at OSU, I haven’t been able to take advantage of any of these classes.

We’re supposed to be this super fit university of students who work out all the time, but with real winter cold quickly approaching, I don’t see that in my cards. Last year, my roommates and I were feeling really ambitious and decided to buy RPAC fitness passes for Winter Quarter, convinced that we would go to all these classes and have so much fun. But after the first week of the quarter, we went to exactly 1.5 classes — we left one class halfway through. Therefore, I need to sign up for a class that I’m required to go to, that way I know I can’t just stay curled up at home with a mug of hot chocolate on cold winter days, half-heartedly thinking about how I should really go workout, but knowing that I don’t plan on leaving my room until spring.

I’m too afraid of failure to skip a class I’m getting credit for, I know that about myself, and I really want to take these classes — but I can’t. Between my regular 15 hours of class, an internship, a job and just living in general, my afternoon time is already stretched a little thin, and I’m by no means the only one.

These physical activity classes should be offered at times that are more convenient for students. I know very few people who have the flexibility to take these classes, but I know a lot of people who want to. More of them should be offered after 5 p.m., or even better, just on Fridays, when a lot of students (except science majors, sorry guys) don’t have any classes.

This university prides itself on having top-notch recreation facilities, so help make it easier for students to use them.