Children ages 12 to 18 are forced into a lottery where the person picked does not win a prize, but must be thrown into an arena where they fight 23 other young people to the death. The person that wins will acquire fame and fortune, and for those who lose, death is inevitable.

The film adaptation of “The Hunger Games” premieres Thursday at midnight, and there are a few eager audience members camping outside local theaters to see their favorite heroine try to beat the odds at the games. 

Three of the four theaters playing midnight showings of  “The Hunger Games” at AMC Lennox Town Center 24 were sold out as of Thursday evening. One of the five theaters at Gateway Film Center sold out.

For some fans, the character’s fight for survival is the best part of “The Hunger Games.”

“It’s the whole sci-fi post-apocalyptical thing,” said local high school student Selina Matejovic. “The kids are forced to survive.”

Most of the fans camped outside the AMC Lennox at 3:20 p.m. waiting for the midnight opening don’t have much hope that the film would measure up to the book.

“I honestly think the movie is going to be amazing, but it won’t measure up to the book,” said Crystal Fischer, a student at Columbus State.

This was Fischer’s first time camping out for a midnight screening.

“I really want a good seat,” Fischer said. “I am really particular about where I sit in the theater.”

Fans of the trilogy like the fact that the characters are varied.

“Most of the kids don’t have any training,” said local high school junior Kelsey Fischer. “They are all very unique in their own way.”

Jennifer Lawrence plays the trilogy’s heroine, Katniss Everdeen. Some fans are uneasy about the blond Lawrence playing the brunette Katniss, but for others, she fits the bill.

“At first I wasn’t sure if (Lawrence) could pull it off,” Kelsey Fischer said.

Matejovic said she likes the character’s film representation.

“It’s almost perfect by the way I imagined her,” Matejovic said.

No story about “The Hunger Games” would be complete without the mention of Josh Hutcherson playing the beloved Peeta Mellark, one of Katniss’ love interests.  Hutcherson is probably best known for his role as Laser from the Academy Award-nominated film “The Kids Are All Right.”

“I am so glad that he coming out into the world (of leading roles),” Matejovic said.

“Catching Fire” is be the second installment of the trilogy based on the best selling Suzanne Collins novels.

“It made me feel like I was in the games,” Matejovic said.