Former Ohio State men’s basketball sophomore forward J.D. Weatherspoon will seek to transfer to another school after being granted a release from his scholarship, coach Thad Matta announced Monday.

Weatherspoon has not decided where he will transfer, but said he and his family will immediately begin the process of looking at other schools, according to a press release.

Weatherspoon, who also played high school basketball at Northland High School in Columbus, said the decision came after deliberation with family and his OSU coaches.

“Coach Matta and my teammates have been great to me at Ohio State. Our fans and the Columbus community have supported me while in high school and at Ohio State,” Weatherspoon said in the press release. “After discussing my future with my family and my coaches, we determined transferring to another school would be the best opportunity for me.”

Matta said he understands Weatherspoon’s decision to transfer and wishes him well.

“J.D. has done everything we’ve asked. I can relate to a young man’s desire to play. I was in his shoes during my collegiate career,” Matta said in the press release. “His teammates and our staff appreciate the hard work J.D. has put in to make our team better. We wish him nothing but the best.”

In his two seasons at OSU, the 6-foot-6-inch, 215-pound Weatherspoon played in 35 games. He averaged 2.7 points and one rebound per game and averaged 59 percent shooting, going 37-for-63 in his career as a Buckeye. He averaged about six minutes of court time per game.

With Weatherspoon on the roster, the Buckeyes won two Big Ten regular-season championships, the 2011 Big Ten Tournament and won a combined 65 games over the two-year period. OSU advanced to the Sweet Sixteen round and the Final Four in the NCAA Tournament in 2011 and 2012, respectively.

The Buckeyes finished the 2012 season with a 31-8 record. They posted a 34-3 record in 2011.