Kanye West’s Air Yeezy II shoe was released Saturday, and based on the thousands of people camped outside of stores across the world waiting for them, I think it’s time for us, as a society, to reassess our priorities.

Retailing at $245, the shoes are being sold at fewer than 50 stores in the U.S., the closest to Columbus being Corporate in Cincinnati. Only 3,000 pairs of the shoe were made.

Last time a similar shoe was released, pandemonium happened. In December, a man was stabbed and killed in Washington, D.C., awaiting the release of the latest pair of Jordans.

The shoes are nice. Don’t get me wrong. I would love to have a pair if they didn’t cost $245 and were easier to get my hands on. But is it worth it?

I don’t think so.

The fuss over these glamorous shoes is a bit ridiculous. It almost seems irresponsible of Nike, who is releasing the shoe, to allow for such hysteria to happen.

Maybe the Yeezys have some rare element woven into them that justifies the $245 price and only 3,000 pairs made. But if not, why not just make more?

The people lining up for these shoes – photos on Twitter show thousands of people lining up outside various stores around the country for them – turn into barbarians when the store’s doors open, as the December incident in Washington, D.C., proves.

Maybe it’s our fault as a society that we turn into such menaces over these things, but it seems to me that it would be easier for Nike just to make more of the shoes than to hope human beings would change their savage ways over a pair of new kicks.

In fact, Hollywood radio personality DJ Skee tweeted Saturday he heard a 15-year-old was followed home and robbed at gunpoint over a pair of the new shoes.

Come on.

A pair of the Yeezy IIs sold for $93,000 on eBay this week. Even as an ardent West fan, I don’t see how anyone could justify spending that much money on these.

Various celebrities have been spotted wearing the shoes. Lil Wayne, Drake, Jay-Z, Amare Stoudemire and several other rappers and musicians have already landed a pair, presumably for free.

If you can afford paying $93,000 for shoes, I would assume you’re probably in the camp of people who would have been given a complimentary pair.

In fairness, Nike arranged an online raffle for random customers to place orders for the shoes. However, it did not announce what time the shoes would be made available, basically making it a free-for-all for whomever is either camped out at their computer or who is lucky enough to be online at the time the shoes are made available.

Still, that’s a bit ridiculous. It’s just a freaking shoe.Kanye West’s Air Yeezy II shoe was released Saturday, and based on the thousands of people camped outside of stores across the world waiting for them, I think it’s time for us, as a society, to reassess our priorities.

I don’t think so.

Come on.

Still, that’s a bit ridiculous. It’s just a freaking shoe.