This is part of our weekly series titled “Columbus’ Own,” where we profile a local band every Thursday.

Once musical rivalries, the local trio created a band out of what once was a dogfight. After creating a name for itself in Columbus, the Cadaver Dogs have decided to uproot.

Mat Franklin met bass player Cole Walsh-Davis and drummer Alex Mosie, who is more affectionately known as Vegas, about four years ago at Miami University (Ohio).

“Cole and Vegas were actually high school band rivals,” Franklin said.

The Cadaver Dogs joke about their musical differences in high school, and about how surprising it was that they ended up forming a band in college.

“One day we just wondered if we would play better music together,” Franklin said. “Turns out we were right.”

Cadaver Dogs played its first show in 2009 and started recording in July 2010.

“We’ve done a lot in two years with the time we’ve had available,” Mosie said.

From the band’s name to the music it creates, Cadaver Dogs has established quite an identity in Columbus and is working to spread its talents nationwide. Members agreed that aside from their wacky personalities, the band’s sound is probably the one of the distinguishing factors about them. That, or their unanimous distaste for pickles.

When the band isn’t touring or creating music, however, its members lead fairly normal lives.

Franklin, who studied art at Miami, dedicates his free time to other bands, designing logos and other artwork for different groups.

“I love it,” Franklin said. “If I wasn’t pursuing being a musician, I would definitely be drawing and making my art full time.”

Walsh-Davis worked at Hot Topic part time until recently, but quit his position at the store to pursue music full time in Louisville, Ky.

Incidentally, Franklin and Mosie are planning to follow Walsh-Davis to Louisville after the band’s upcoming tour.

Cadaver Dogs played its last show as Columbus residents Saturday at Kobo, saying farewell to its local fans, at least for now.

“We wanted to do a farewell show to say goodbye to everyone that’s supported us this far,” Mosie said. “Some of our family members were there too, it was an awesome experience.”

Some fans who attended the band’s last gig in Columbus said it was a sad, yet exciting show.

“I don’t want to see them go,” said Kristen Angeloff, a friend of the band, who is studying psychology at Columbus State Community College. “They’ve made such an identity for themselves in Columbus and really have a following, it’s sad they’re moving.”

Despite distancing itself from the city, Franklin said the band has no intentions to halt production of its genre-mixed tunes.

“We listen to hip-hop driving on tour, but Vegas is definitely punk rock, Cole is metal, and I’m a bit of country,” Franklin said.

Cadaver Dogs has released two EP’s since its formation, “Thrill Ride” in 2010 and “On All Fours” in 2011. “Thrill Ride” is somewhat of a tribute to Kings Island, with all of its tracks being named after rides at the amusement park.

The band is in the songwriting stages for its third album, which it’s aiming to release in the next few months.

“We’re in our terrible two’s right now,” Mosie joked. “Just wait until we reach puberty.”

When, or if, the band reaches “puberty,” getting signed by any particular label could apparently put sour taste in the members’ mouth.

“Labels sound great but they’re booby traps,” Walsh-Davis said. “If you’re not on a label, sometimes you don’t have as big a fan base as other bands, but if you sign to a label, you might have to give up what you and your band mates want for the sake of who’s in charge.”

Franklin agreed and said he worries being signed might jeopardize the band’s ability to maintain creative dignity.

“We want to keep our integrity and our respect, we want to make a career of our music on our own,” Franklin said.

Signed or not, it seems the band will always have a dedication to making music.

“We’re an American rock ‘n’ roll band that does what we want, when we want,” Franklin said. “We don’t expect to stop anytime soon. We’re staying super loose.”