Trespassers beware, there is a new security alarm that will notify students of a break-in at home by a simple text message.
Inventor Brian Hess chose OSU as the place to introduce his wireless, portable alarm system called tattletale.
For the past 14 years, the system has protected construction sites nationwide and will expand tattletale to college-age consumers.
The portable alarm system is cellular and tamper-proof, with wireless sensors that will work out to 30 feet when disturbed, and a motion sensor will send a signal to a cellular tower. It comes with a keychain that, with the push of a button, can call police in six-tenths of a second. It boasts pet buttons, which allow re-entry without tripping the alarm, quiet buttons to silence the keypad and reduce chime volume and “hot buttons,” which are activated until the user turns it off.
Up to five users can be added to the system’s contact list to receive text messages and emails from the system, which means that at first sign of danger, users will be notified of the disturbance.
To set the system up, a user must create a pin number, enter his or her phone number and email address and then run the key chain remote against the scanner.
“What it really gets down to is that when you go to your place, you know that nobody’s been there while you’re gone,” Hess said. “And when you walk in, it’s safe. That’s a big deal.”
Hess has a $299 student rate for the system, with an additional monthly cost of $12 for texting. Normally, the system costs $399 initially and $33 per month.
Kristen Guzzo, a first-year in health professionals exploration, said she would consider splitting the cost of a Tattletale with her roommate for their dorm on campus.
“When we close our dorm doors, we can lock them, but when we leave them open to walk around, it would be nice to know that our stuff is safe,” Guzzo said.
However, Daniel Kieffer, a third-year in communication, said “$299 is expensive for college kids,” and that he wouldn’t consider buying the alarm system.
“As long as you take precautions to lock doors and windows, you should be fine,” he said.
Hess hopes the product will be carried at OSU’s WiredOut store and cellular stores around campus soon.