As the first unsigned band to perform at the American Music Awards, Carbon Leaf played before a crowd of thousands. Despite that feat, the band still makes time for performing in more intimate settings.

Carbon Leaf, a Celtic, folk-infused indie rock band, which is based out of Richmond, Va., is scheduled to perform 8 p.m. Sunday at Woodlands Tavern.

Formed in 1992, lead vocalist Barry Privett said the band came together as a way to have fun with friends in college. Three of the band’s current members attended Randolph-Macon College in Ashland, Va. together.

“We didn’t have a whole lot of ambition starting out because it was more about getting together and having fun playing for your friends,” Privett said. “The response we got from our community inspired us to see if we could take it a step further and keep expanding that community beyond friends and family.”

The other members of the band include electric guitarist Terry Clark, guitarist Carter Gravatt, Jason Neal on drums and Jon Markel on electric bass.

Privett said the band decided to pursue music as a profession after college, and that its big break came in 2002 when it won the Coca-Cola New Music Award for its song “The Boxer” at the 29th Annual AMAs.

“The winner got to perform live on the AMAs which was kind of a big thrill,” Privett said. “It really helped get our act together and get on the road, start touring more. It also lead to some radio play to some bigger markets because of the attention we got from the award.”  

Paul Painter, booking manager at Woodlands Tavern, said that he’s booked Carbon Leaf before and expects the band will put on a good show.

“Carbon Leaf are entertaining and professional,” Painter said. “They have a devoted following so the fans always enjoy their performance.”

Painter also said the concert has been promoted in a variety of ways and should draw a good audience.

“We promote in the weeklies, The Other Paper, Columbus Alive and via social media, such as Facebook and Yelp,” Painter said. “Ticket sales are good and the show will be well-attended.”

Some Ohio State students, though, said they will not be attending the concert because they’re unfamiliar with the band and its music.

Tim Brown, a fourth-year in communication, said he likes a variety of music genres and bands, but is unfamiliar with Carbon Leaf’s music.

“I like rap, some rock and some pop, but I’ve never heard (Carbon Leaf’s) music before,” Brown said. “I won’t be going to the concert because concerts aren’t fun when you don’t know the words and can’t actually sing along.”   

Privett said the band has some new music in the works, which it plans to release next year and hopes will draw in more fans that might be unfamiliar with its music.

“Right now we’re working on a batch of about 30 songs that we’re going to release at the top of 2013,” he said. “We’re not sure yet if we’re going to release them in a series of albums or if we’re just going to individually release singles.”  

Privett said Sunday’s show will also give people an opportunity to relax and enjoy themselves.

“It’s just a good time and a good release,” Privett said. “We try to go up there and have a good time and get the crowd involved.”    

Tickets are purchasable for $15 on the band’s website or at Woodlands Tavern, located at 1200 W. Third Ave.