Home » A+E » Men’s fashion: 2010s a golden age for fashion so far

Men’s fashion: 2010s a golden age for fashion so far

Courtesy of MCT

This year is almost over, and a whole new calendar of trends is about to avalanche upon us. But before we look to the future, let’s reflect on our past.

We’ve all bought into some ridiculous styles. We’ve all lived in the moment and embraced trends we’re now embarrassed to have ever even lived in that brief moment when they were popular, let alone wear them ourselves.

Let’s be honest, we all had a pair of zip-off cargo pants in elementary school, and we all donned a pair of Adidas sandals with socks in our early teens. Sure, Crocs were never cool to anyone, but I can’t be the only one who owned a pair of neon-colored shutter shades.

But, my question is, will we look back to this year’s trends with the same embarrassment as Ed Hardy Tees, or was 2012 actually a good year for style?

With the exception of a few choice trends, and the entirety of Justin Bieber, I’d venture to say it was.

There was nothing embraced by the American public during the entire year of 2012 that insulted our eyes as much as anything and everything that came out of the early 2000s.

Faux-hawks were no longer atop our entire generation’s heads and “guyliner” sightings thankfully dropped to a record low.

In fact, 2012 played it safe. Dark-washed, straight-legged jeans looked good on everyone, and the subtle, earthy tones that dominated menswear collections had no chance of offending eyes like the bright colors that frequented the 1980s.

I don’t think I’ll ever be disappointed with myself for wearing Sperry boat shoes nearly every day of the summer, and I will support plaid shirts to my dying day. Sure, white jeans might not have been the best idea, but hey, at least they weren’t MC Hammer pants.

But even in a year that got so much right, a few wrongs were an inevitable part of styling 2012.

Snapbacks were fun, but were they really necessary? I can’t imagine I’ll continue to feel comfortable walking out the door in a “bro tank” even a few years from today, and #YOLO on anything is sincerely #dead.

But here’s the one trend that really ground my gears this year (sorry guys, I can’t hold it in any longer): What was the deal with the Nike basketball socks during the summer? It’s not that they created an eyesore, but just left me a little confused.

Didn’t that get a little warm? It was a hot summer after all and I can’t imagine anyone’s shoes smelling great after walking around with thick socks in 100-degree heat. Also, didn’t you ever realize that the six guys sitting around you at O Patio were wearing tall black socks and khaki shorts just like you? Since the practicality of the trend just doesn’t seem there, maybe unanimity was actually the draw.

So we made a few mistakes in 2012, but what can anyone expect? If anything, I’d say we’re well on our way to making the 2010s a golden age of men’s fashion. We might just be the Mad Men of our time.