Screening film with an environmentally friendly spin, the Wexner Center for the Arts is set to educate visitors throughout the month of February.

In its fourth year, “Field and Screen” features films and guest speakers, raises awareness of issues regarding food and the environment and highlights the successes of both. Some screening events include filmmakers for a post-viewing discussion. 

David Filipi, film/video director at the Wexner Center, said “Field and Screen” has been successful since its beginning in 2010, when he believes there were many films out that focused on food and the environment, and people were unaware of problems. 

“The timing was right, and it happened to be a nice cluster of films, and we did the series not knowing if we’d do it again,” Filipi said. “It turned out to be really popular with our audiences and gave people in the community a chance to gather and share information about what they do and things like that.” 

Three of the “Field and Screen” evenings are set to feature visiting filmmakers who can discuss their work with the audience. Matt Meindl, whose film “Don’t Break Down” (2012) creates an afterlife of garbage leftover in metropolitan areas, is set to discuss his work and idea behind the film. “Don’t Break Down” was filmed with stop-motion animation with a Super-8mm camera and is set to run all month at the Wexner Center. 

In the second week, “Covenant” (2012) filmmaker and Ohio State associate art professor Michael Mercil is to be featured in a panel discussion organized by OSU’s Department of Art Living Culture Initiative. 

“Covenant” centers in on the economy of keeping livestock and the struggles and pleasures of a human-animal relationship. 

The third week is slated to feature Mike Scholtz, filmmaker of “Wild Bill’s Run,” a film which is equal parts documentary, crime and tall tale. The film tells the story of Wild Bill Cooper, who led a team on a quest to snowmobile 5,000 miles from Minnesota to Moscow in 1972. 

Jennifer Wray, marketing and media assistant at the Wexner Center, said students can greatly benefit from “Field and Screen.”

“It’s really been a hit with a whole variety of people,” Wray said. “If you love film, if you love food, and if you care about environment, it’s a series that hits people from multiple angles. Students are definitely into those angles – who doesn’t love food and being outside and surrounded by gorgeous, pastoral scenes of nature?” 

Wray also states that a great benefit to “Field and Screen” being shown in February is that it glorifies nature and how much it has to offer even in the middle of winter. While the weather outside might not be ideal, she said, the series is a good way to reflect on the environment. 

Alexandra Oglesbee, a fourth-year in biology and Spanish, said this kind of series is more entertaining than students might perceive it to be. 

“If it’s documentary-based, it’s more entertaining than you think,” Oglesbee said. “It’s just something different to do with friends.” 

Oglesbee also said other topics would be beneficial for an event similar to “Field and Screen.” 

“There could be a focus on education and economy,” she said. “It’s easy for students to get engaged in green topics but it’s important to focus on political problems too.” 

Wray said the Heirloom Café will be open during the screening of “Step Up to the Plate,” a film following a three-star restaurant in Southern France and its father-son team of chefs. 

“Step Up to the Plate” will be shown Feb. 14 at 7:30 p.m. and Feb. 16 at 4:30 p.m. at the Wexner Center’s Film/Video Theater. 

Tickets to all screenings are $6 for members, senior citizens, students and children under 12, and $8 for the general public. Tickets are available at the Wexner Center box office or at the Wexner Center’s website.