This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

The Grammys blunder past White
They happened. No major surprises here. Thank goodness “Call Me Maybe” wasn’t validated with a Grammy win, although it did get two nominations (Best Pop Solo Performance and Song of the Year).
One note: I love The Black Keys, I really do. But Jack White deserved the wins in Best Rock Song, which went to the Keys’ “Lonely Boy,” and Best Rock Album, which went to “El Camino.” White’s “Blunderbuss” was an exceptional solo album (his first), especially with his creative use of separate all-male and all-female bands. “El Camino” was a great rock record, but in terms of innovation and veering from the band’s typical style, The Black Keys really just could have re-released “Brothers.”
Less popular holiday week
Snakes! Floats! Gross candy and rejection! This week contains three holidays that are less popular in America. After the whirlwind of December holidays, we needed a break in January. No presents, parades or large-scale celebrations. But come February, it’s time to party again.  
Sunday was the official celebration of the Chinese New Year, and it’s the Year of the Snake. According to Huffington Post, “unexpected transformations” are a key element of snake years. I take this to mean I’m going to find a snake in my house.
Mardi Gras, or Fat Tuesday, is the last party day before the 40 days of Lent, when Catholics repent and often make sacrifices. Why does New Orleans get to have all the fun? I think we ought to be a little bit more wild and carefree up north and get ourselves a Mardi Gras king and queen. We need a distraction from the blah weather, even if the winds would destroy the floats.
And finally, probably the most well-known of all this week, Valentine’s Day is Thursday. If you’ve been in a relationship for more than a minute, you’re probably dreading getting your partner something both heartfelt and available at the drug store on the way home. If you’re single, well, at least you don’t have to split your candy.
Another made-for-TV movie about screen classic
Evil witch, wife of King George VI, support group addict ­­- what can’t Helena Bonham Carter play? Apparently next up for the versatile actress is the role of Elizabeth Taylor in a BBC film about her relationship with Richard Burton. At least she admitted she wasn’t the spitting image of the star. She told the Daily Mail, “I look nothing like her for a start, but it’s about capturing the essence of them at a particular time.” Here’s hoping (and expecting) Carter does a better job than Lindsay Lohan in the Lifetime network’s 2012 flop about the famous couple.