Representatives from nonprofit organizations will converge in the Ohio Union this Wednesday for the Nonprofit Opportunities Fair.
Randy Dineen, internship adviser at the College of Arts and Sciences Career Services Office, said typically about 500 students come to the fair. Dineen helps organize the fair and promotes organizations.
Participants are expected to arrive at the Ohio Union’s Performance Hall looking their best, Dineen said. Business attire “is what most employers expect.”
There are 42 registered employers scheduled to be at the fair to meet with OSU students and recent graduates, Dineen said. Organizations such as Children’s Hunger Alliance, March of Dimes and the Make-A-Wish Foundation are expected to attend.
The fair is most ideal for undergraduate students “because most of the organizations are recruiting for internship positions as opposed to entry level full-time positions,” Dineen said. Only about a quarter of the registered employers are recruiting for both internship and entry-level jobs.
Dineen said each organization pays an $80 fee, which includes parking and lunch. The fee is relatively low considering the organizations are nonprofit, he said.
“We keep the registration cost as low as possible so they can afford it,” he said.
Organizations involved in the fair offer a variety of opportunities to students.
Montaña de Luz is an organization that helps kids affected by HIV and AIDS in Honduras. It offers OSU students internship positions at its office in Worthington.
This will be Montaña de Luz’s third year participating in OSU’s Nonprofit Opportunities Fair, said Erika Shell, the executive director of the organization.
“We have had some really good experiences with the interns who come work in our office,” she said.
The Greater Columbus Arts Council is also registered to take part in the fair. Jami Goldstein, a spokeswoman for the organization, said this will be its second year participating. GCAC offers students internship positions with the marketing communications and events office as well as volunteer positions for the Columbus Arts Festival taking place June 7-9.
The volunteer positions at the festival vary from helping with check-in to assisting performances.
The nonprofit fair is scheduled to take place from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. on Wednesday.