This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Lindsay Lohan on “Late Show with David Letterman” 

On Tuesday night, Lindsay Lohan finally made a public appearance that didn’t involve her being in a courtroom. Letterman’s interview with Lohan on “Late Show with David Letterman” was extremely entertaining yet uncomfortable to witness at the same time. He fired off a round of questions and jokes relating to her obvious struggles with drugs and alcohol, but Lohan wasn’t afraid to make light of her situation either, at one point taking a drink from Letterman’s mug saying “I thought this was going to be vodka.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be in rehab?” he asked, evoking laughter from the studio audience. Lohan said she is set to check into rehab on May 2, describing her previous experiences there as a “blessing.” 

Country music award winners

Luke Bryan took home the coveted Entertainer of the Year award at the 48th Annual Academy of Country Music Awards on Sunday. Bryan also co-hosted the event with Blake Shelton. Miranda Lambert took home three awards, more than any other artist, including Female Vocalist of the Year, Single Record of the Year and Song of the Year.

Taylor Swift was nominated in four categories this year, and apparently it was a surprise that she didn’t win any of them. I think her time has passed, and her new album, “Red,” was not worthy of any awards. Newcomer Hunter Hayes was also nominated for four different awards and like Swift, he did not come home with any.

Remembering Annette Funicello

After battling multiple sclerosis for more than 25 years, one of Disney’s original “Mouseketeers” died Monday at age 70. Known by many to be America’s girl next door, Annette Funicello was best known for her role on the “Mickey Mouse Club” and her multiple beach party films throughout the 1960s

My generation however, was not as familiar with Funicello as those before us. The only time I can remember seeing her was in an episode of “Full House” when I was probably in middle school. After reading several articles about Funicello’s life, however, it was clear that she was loved.

“Annette was well known for being as beautiful inside as she was on the outside, and she faced her physical challenges with dignity, bravery and grace,” said Bob Iger, chairman and CEO of The Walt Disney Company, following the news of her death. “All of us at Disney join with family, friends and fans around the world in celebrating her extraordinary life.”