This is part of a weekly series called “Pop Opinions” where The Lantern offers its take on the week’s pop culture news.

Rush finally appreciated

Canadian rock band Rush has been shafted time and time again, but alas, justice has prevailed. The trio was finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, and fans may now rejoice. But the group, and its fans, proved the induction was certainly long-awaited during the Thursday induction ceremony at Nokia Theatre in Los Angeles.
Rush headlined the event and were greeted with a roaring applause from the crowd. Musical guru Dave Grohl also took the stage with the band, inducting it after a spot-on, accurate speech.
“From day one, the band built its following the right way. No hype, no (baloney), they did it from the ground up without any help from the mainstream press,” Grohl said. “Their influence is undeniable and their devoted fan base is only rivaled by the Grateful Dead. Look at you people, all of you people, right here! And their legacy is that of a band that stayed true to themselves no matter how uncool they may have seemed to anyone.”

Couldn’t have said it better myself. 

Neil Diamond loves Boston

Red Sox fan or not, most sports enthusiasts know Neil Diamond’s “Sweet Caroline” is sort of the traditional sing-a-long song in Fenway Park. And amid a tragic week in Boston after the Boston Marathon bombing, the New York-born Diamond appeared at the Red Sox game on Saturday – the first one at Fenway since the bombing – with a surprise performance of his tune. After Boston’s unfortunate events, Diamond provided an inspirational moment for the city following the Friday capture of bombing suspect Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. The Red Sox went on to win 4-3 against the Kansas City Royals with a three-run homerun in the bottom of the eighth. 
But the singer’s support for Boston isn’t stopping there. Diamond is in the process of writing a song inspired by the events in Boston, according to “Rolling Stone.”
“I’m writing now and obviously affected by this situation in Boston, so I’m writing about it just to express myself,” he said.

Reese Witherspoon and husband arrested

Oscar-winning actress Reese Witherspoon showed her true personality Friday when she was arrested for disorderly conduct. Witherspoon and her husband, Jim Toth, were driving in Atlanta early Friday morning when he was pulled over under suspicion of DUI. Witherspoon got out of the car during Toth’s sobriety test and was told several times by the officer to get back in. She then began to hang out of the window.
Before being arrested, the 37-year-old actress was quoted saying, “Do you know my name? You’re about to find out who I am. You’re going to be on national news.”
Witherspoon and Toth were both taken to jail, although Witherspoon was out in time to appear on the red carpet in support of her upcoming film “Mud.”
She has since released an apology, but the damage is done. It’s bad enough her husband was drunk driving, but Witherspoon continued to disrespect the officer, who was just doing his job, and flaunt her career.
Witherspoon has always appeared to me as America’s sweetheart. Remember “Sweet Home Alabama?” “Legally Blonde?” She was adorable. But after her reckless behavior, I must say she doesn’t appear to be so sweet anymore.