I recently stopped into Basil in the Short North, unsure of what to expect. I was not very familiar with Thai food, but I had heard good things and was willing to give the restaurant a try.

At Basil, diners will find an extensive menu full of authentic Thai food. With soups, salads, entrees and noodles, it might take some time to decide what you want to order. 

Entrees range from $11 to $18 with the option of beef for $1 and shrimp for $2 extra. During happy hour, Monday through Thursday from 4 to 7 p.m., the restaurant serves “Thai Tapas” and half-price drafts. 

I opted not to drink, but the bar has a wide selection of beer, cocktails and wine. 

I chose the mixed vegetable entrée with cabbage, bok choy, napa, bean sprouts, mushrooms, carrots and baby corn in a light bean sauce for $13. Entrees come with white rice or brown rice for a dollar more. Customers also have their choice of adding meat or tofu, but I opted for just the vegetables. 

My meal was perfectly done. The broccoli was still crisp, and the bok choy and bean sprouts were not overcooked or mushy. The bean sauce was light and added great taste without overpowering the flavor of the fresh vegetables.   

My friend ordered the red curry entree for $13, which consisted of the restaurant’s signature Spicy Thai curry with coconut milk, bamboo shoots, bell peppers, basil and your choice of meat or tofu. My friend chose to add chicken and picked the level 5 spice. 

I sampled his dish as well. It was spicier than I would normally order for myself, but if you like hot food, I would recommend it. 

Our waitress was friendly and knowledgeable of the food. She helped us select our spice level (1-5) based on the ingredients in each dish and on personal preference. 

Basil’s decor is as enjoyable as the food. Exposed brick, distressed wooden boards and chandeliers hanging throughout the dimly lit space give the restaurant a rustic charm. 

I would recommend this restaurant and look forward to visiting again.

Basil is located in the Short North at 1124 N. High St.  and is open Monday through Saturday from 11:30 a.m. until 10 p.m. and Sunday until 9 p.m. 

Grade: A