Last summer, a friend of mine asked me to join a community service student organization she was starting. The point of Inspire OSU was to come up with various projects OSU students can work on once a week for an hour to give back to the community. Inspire, which was started in August, has the potential to become a huge student organization and an import asset of this university.

Alex Chudik, a third-year in business, is the co-president of Inspire along with Jake Larkin, a fourth-year in engineering. The club’s mission is to “provide others with the opportunity to give without having to go very far to do it. We strive to encourage our members to make a difference in fun and easy ways,” Chudik said.

I wanted to be a part of the action.

Some of the projects students work on are Sole Hope, an organization dedicated to putting closed-toe shoes on African children, and another organization that helps children in foster care feel comforted, called My Very Own Blanket. The student organization also strives to improve to provide outside organizations with service events for their members as well.

Inspire members come together once a week for an hour to put aside their own problems and help improve the lives of people in need.

Please visit www.inspireosu.com or email [email protected] to become a member. Also, check out the group’s Twitter @InspireOSU and Facebook page.

Shahed Al-asadi is the vice president of recruitment for Inspire.