From left: Retired Maj. Gen. Tod Carmony,  retired Col. Mark Storer and Capt. Jim Houston, Sr., are set to be inducted into the OSU Army ROTC Alumni Society’s Hall of Fame. Credit: Courtesy of Doug Huber

From left: Retired Maj. Gen. Tod Carmony,
retired Col. Mark Storer and Capt. Jim Houston, Sr., are set to be inducted into the OSU Army ROTC Alumni Society’s Hall of Fame.
Credit: Courtesy of Doug Huber

A former Ohio State football player is slated to enter another Hall of Fame this week, but this time, he won’t be commemorated for his accomplishments at Ohio Stadium.

Three OSU alumni are set to be inducted into the OSU Army Reserve Officers’ Training Corps Alumni Society’s Hall of Fame Thursday: Capt. Jim Houston, Sr., retired Maj. Gen. Tod Carmony and retired Col. Mark Storer.

The Hall of Fame is designed to recognize valuable alumni, said Doug Huber, the communications chair of the Alumni Society.

“It is our pleasure to honor these Buckeyes that have given so much to their country and to the university,” Huber said.

Capt. Jim Houston, Sr. 

Houston was not only in ROTC at OSU, but was also a lineman on the football team. He started for three years under former OSU football coach Woody Hayes, from 1957-59. He was an All-American in 1958 and 1959 and was voted the single team captain in 1959. He remains the only single captain since 1959.

Houston joined ROTC as a freshman. He went on active duty in January 1962 as a 2nd Lieutenant and spent two years at Fort Dix, N.J., according to a biography Huber provided.

Houston also played 13 years with the Cleveland Browns, 1960-72, during which the Browns never had a losing season.

Houston has been inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame, among others.

Maj. Gen. Tod Carmony (retired)

Carmony served for 39 years, seven active and the rest in the Army National Guard, he said.

He said the ROTC staff was always supportive of cadets who wanted to learn more and were very willing to put in extra time to help them.

“I was raised by the (World War II) generation, so military service was seen as an honor and an obligation,” Carmony said.

Awards Carmony received include the Army Distinguished Service Medal, two Legion of Merit awards and four Meritorious Service Medals, among others, he said.

Carmony said he had a full and interesting career and he spent more time in the military than he originally planned.

“I liked working with soldiers and leading them and the National Guard provided an interesting second job while I continued my civilian career in the insurance industry,” Carmony said.

Carmony serves as chairman of the board and president of Wayne Mutual Insurance Company and lives in Wooster, Ohio, with his wife.

Col. Mark Storer (retired)

Storer graduated from OSU in 1975 when he took his first job as a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army. He served until 1979, when he transferred to the U.S. Army Reserve. He served in various assignments until he transferred to the Retired Reserve in 2004, he said.

Storer said he decided to serve because when he was a child, the adult men in his life made an impression on him.

“As I grew older and began to read, I came to understand that soldiers, sailors, Marines and airmen were ordinary people that at times were called upon to do extraordinary things,” Storer said. “It was people that drew me to the Army.”

Awards that Storer possesses are the Legion of Merit, Global War on Terrorism Service Medal and the Selective Service System’s Exceptional Service Award, among others, he said.

He has been a member of the OSU Army ROTC Alumni Society since its inception and worked in its early efforts to endow scholarships for worthy Army ROTC Cadets.

He said he is “surprised and honored” to be inducted to the Hall of Fame. Rather than being recognized for military exploits, he is being recognized for the early work he did on the OSU Army ROTC Alumni Society’s scholarship program, he said.

Storer is an active member of Bexley United Methodist Church, where he serves as a member of the finance committee and Sunday school teacher. He and his wife reside in Bexley, Ohio.

The OSU Army ROTC Alumni Society’s Hall of Fame induction ceremony is slated to take place at the Fawcett Center Thursday at 5 p.m. with a social hour, dinner and the award presentation.