OSU redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alex Ivanov winds up to kick the ball during a game against Akron Sept. 24 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost 3-1 Credit: Ben Jackson / For The Lantern

OSU redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alex Ivanov winds up to kick the ball during a game against Akron Sept. 24 at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium. OSU lost 3-1
Credit: Ben Jackson / For The Lantern

In the span of six days, the Ohio State men’s soccer team went from being undefeated to holding a losing record.

The Buckeyes’ (2-3-3, 1-1-0) loss to Dayton (4-3-1) on Saturday was their third in a row. OSU was unable to muster much of an offensive threat throughout the contest, falling 1-0.

The two teams were each held scoreless for much of the afternoon.

It was not until late in the 83rd minute that the Flyers broke through with a goal. Junior forward Amass Amankona dribbled through the box and passed it to his left to redshirt-junior forward Ryan Peterson. Peterson then put it past OSU redshirt-senior goalkeeper Alex Ivanov for his second goal of the year.

OSU only managed two shots on goal in the game, one in each half. Dayton managed six shots on goal, with Ivanov saving five of them.

OSU did manage to outshoot the Flyers 11-10 overall, despite failing to put nine of them on target.

OSU’s best opportunity came during the 15th minute when sophomore forward Danny Jensen got the first half’s lone shot on goal for OSU. However, he was unable to put it home and the game remained scoreless.

On top of dropping their last three games, things could only become more difficult over the next two weeks for the Buckeyes.

Three of their next four games are scheduled to come against schools ranked in the top 20. Their next two games are against No. 9 Louisville and No. 16 Michigan State, before getting a potential breather against winless Oakland.

The Buckeyes are set to look to end the losing streak at Louisville in Louisville, Ky., on Tuesday. That game is scheduled to kick off at 7:30 p.m. OSU’s matchup with the Spartans is set for Saturday at 7 p.m. at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.