“Sunset Overdrive” is a third-person, action/adventure game developed by Insomniac Games. Harkening back to the nostalgic days of the Sega Dreamcast era of gaming with its vivid environment, tongue-in-cheek humor and fast-paced, crisp, clean action, “Sunset Overdrive” is a standout title in this crowded fall release schedule.

Taking place in the not-too-distant future of 2027, the planet’s population has been decimated after consumers drink Overcharge Delirium XT, a new energy drink developed by the ominous FizzCo corporation. The canned energy drink has an unusual way of turning everyone that consumes it into grotesque, exploding, zombie-like creatures who thirst for blood. Humanity is at the brink of extinction as you team up with the few survivors of the apocalypse that are still able to plan an escape alongside your character.

The gameplay focuses on “agile combat,” meaning that creative use of the overhead environment (i.e. power lines, ledges, rooftops and rails) rewards the player with increased mobility and tactical advantages over the enemy. On the contrary, the player is almost punished if you should attempt to play the game standing still, feet planted on the ground, toe-to-toe with the zombies.

The traversal, art aesthetics and punk music soundtrack marry together to form a cohesive atmosphere that is both unique in its own right, while reminding players of how video games used to play, before the days of “Call of Duty” and “Gears of War.” Featuring upgradeable weapons, customizable characters, an online cooperative multiplayer mode and air-tight gameplay — from the developer that brought us the “Ratchet & Clank” series — “Sunset Overdrive” is a unique breath of fresh air among the multitude of hyper-realistic military shooters and generic character action disappointments launched earlier this year.

Released Oct. 28, “Sunset Overdrive” is an Xbox One exclusive title.