With the Spring Game under his belt, Ohio State football coach Urban Meyer is heading south for a little golf.
On Tuesday, Meyer and OSU are competing in the sixth annual Chick-fil-A Bowl Challenge charity golf tournament. The event is a two-man scramble competition played at the Reynolds Plantation’s Oconee course in Greensboro, Ga. with a total of $520,000 on the line in scholarship funds.
This year’s 16-team field is the tournament’s largest in its six-year existence. The teams are comprised of an NCAA football coach and a celebrity alumnus from the same school. Teaming up with Meyer is former OSU running back Jeff Logan.
A co-captain on the 1977 football team, Logan played for the Buckeyes from 1974-1977. Backing up two-time Heisman Trophy winner Archie Griffin in his first two seasons, Logan started his final two years for the Scarlet and Gray, earning All-Big Ten first-team and Academic All-American honors in 1977.
Meyer was hired as OSU’s football coach in November after almost a year of turmoil surrounding the program. Boasting a 104-23 career-record in 10 seasons at Bowling Green, Utah and Florida, he has won two National Championships and is undefeated in BCS bowl games (4-0).
Meyer and Logan, along with the other 15 teams, will play 18 holes, and the team with the lowest scramble-score will win the challenge and the first-place prize of $125,000 in scholarship-funds.
In a scramble, both players tee off on each hole. The better of the two tee shots is selected and both players play their second shot from that spot. The same process is applied to each subsequent shot until the ball is holed.
Paired with OSU’s team is Georgia Tech. The school’s football coach Paul Johnson and former Yellow Jackets basketball star Jon Barry are the event’s defending champions, winning the 2011 competition with a score of 11-under.
Other schools participating in the event include Florida State (2010 champions), South Carolina (2009 and 2008 champions), Virginia Tech (2007 champions), Tennessee, Miami and Alabama.