To paraphrase Whodini, the rap group not the musician, “Soul ain’t nothing but a four letter word/That’s often said but seldom heard.” That wasn’t the case Thursday night as the Cincinnati based Afghan Whigs brought their R&B influenced rock to the Newport Music Hall. The band is touring behind its sixth album “1965.” What separates the band from the rock clutter, is its love of soul music, past and present. While other bands are content to pummel the crowd with volume, the Whigs add groove to tales of mangled love and unrestrained lust.This current tour finds the band augmented by two backup singers, Susan Marshall and Steve Myers and keyboard player Josh Paxton. The added personnel fleshes out the band’s sound and provides a Motown revue feel.The band was ready to party and lead singer Greg Dulli was the ultimate host. He chatted with the crowd, taking on various accents and played playground patrol. When a youth got a tad rambunctious Dulli advised him to dance instead of mosh. “Hey, you might actually get some!”Pulling songs from the vast Whigs catalog, including songs from the essential “Gentleman” and “Black Love,” the band wanted bodies grooving. It took a while for the crowd to shake out of its stupor but when it gelled, it was beautiful.John Curley, bass player and new drummer Michael Horrigan laid an unstoppable groove that could make the Bob Dole get jiggy with it. Paxton added inventive keyboard improvs and in the pocket melody lines, channeling the spirit of New Orleans. Lead guitarist Rick McColluum angular guitar work was tasteful and never overbearing. Dulli’s vocals are smooth, damn smooth. Sex sells and Dulli works it harder than Donna Summer. His voice captures love, anguish and everything inbetween.Columbus tends to be spoiled when it comes to Whigs shows. The band often uses Columbus musicians on its record, so when the Whigs come to town its reunion time. Marcy Mays, lead vocalist of local band Scrawl, turned in an inspired take of “My Curse.” And Harold Chinchester, lead singer of Howlin’ Maggie added keyboards and backing vocals in a birthday tribute to his wife. The entire concert was mind warping but there were pearls among the sea of diamonds. “Fountain and Fairfax” benefited from and extended Dulli monolgue/New Orleans piano player tutorial. “Something Hot” was a smoldering love letter. And For fans that didn’t get the soul link, a roof-raising version of Prince’s “I Can Never Take The Place Of Your Man.”Thanks to the Afghan Whigs, the term “funky white boys” isn’t such an oxymoron.