Ohio State, with all its diversities, likes to pay attention to its minorities. Vegetarians and vegans are no exception.Julie Shamrock, a junior public relations major who has been a vegetarian for four years, thinks that the university and surrounding areas do a good job providing alternative foods.”Ohio State and other restaurants try, and are getting better, but there is still room for improvement,” Shamrock said. “Being health conscious and vegetarian, it’s hard to find meals.”Vegetarians, who stick to a non-meat diet, vary from vegans who do not eat any animal products including milk, eggs and cheese. Sprouts Cafe is a dining service for vegetarians located at Kennedy Commons on South Campus. Vegetarian items are also served in other dining halls and at Buckeye Express.”I think that Sprouts offers an excellent variety of vegetarian food,” Shamrock said.Barbara Payne, food production manager for Kennedy Commons, has observed a growing number of vegetarians. “I’ve been at Kennedy Commons for about 1 1/2 years and I have noticed an increase in students participating in the Sprouts menu,” Payne said. “I believe we do a good job accommodating (vegetarians).”Several vegetarian and vegan restaurants in the surrounding campus area also have noticed an increase in vegetarians and vegans. Robert Metzger, general manager of King Avenue Restaurant, 247 King Ave., said that there has been a steady growth over the past few years. The menu at King Avenue Restaurant is entirely vegetarian with about 90 percent of it vegan. Within a month, they will be shifting to an entirely organic menu, according to Metzger.Patty Petrella is the owner of The Aardvark Cafe, 2122 N. High St. The cafe not only serves vegetarian and vegan food, but also turkey and chicken.Petrella attributes the growth in vegetarianism to people realizing the earth’s resources are being strained. Both Metzger and Petrella agreed that they have not only a number of student customers, but many faculty and staff customers as well.Shirley Kindrick, with the weight management program at the Center for Wellness and Prevention, said there are many different reasons for people to choose a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle.”Some people use it as a tool to manage their weight, others are animal lovers or do it for the health benefits,” Kindrick said.