With a new album in tow, Columbus’ arguably longest lasting roots rock quartet, Silo the Huskie, has ended their hiatus and are raring to display their renewed sound 10 p.m. Friday at Bernie’s.

“We’re definitely refreshed after having that time off. We’re eager to get out and play,”said guitarist Chris Bair.

Unlike previous attempts at touring, there are factors that will be considered before the band packs up the van this time.

“We’re just being smarter about the booking, taking a good look at where the CD has been played and if it actually charted in that town,” Bair said. “Before, we were driving insane miles, eight-or-ten hour drives to go play, you know, in front of four people.”

Armed with a new album, “Sons of Columbus,” and a new record label, Tiberius, the band is happy to be performing again. “I love playing out with this band,” said bassist Pete Cline. “I like the fact that we’re back together. I like the great relationship that we have; we write some really good songs.”

Although each band member has say in the direction of the music, the songwriting is done primarily by lead singer Brian Barlup. He draws from his life experience of growing up in a small, working-class town, and the imagery thematically ties the record together.

Mostly, his writing seems to serve as an artistic release. “It’s fun to do something outside what you do for a living. Whether you’re a student or whatever, it’s cool to say ‘Hey, I do this, and I’m in a rock band or I paint or whatever,'” Barlup said.

If it were not enough having a new album to push, new material is developing.

“We still like playing that stuff [‘Sons of Columbus’] because it’s new for most people, but we’ve been sitting on it, so we’re definitely ready to put out new stuff,” Bair said. “All the songs are, we feel, really strong so we’re having a good time playing them, but playing the new stuff is pretty exciting.”

Silo the Huskie is a model in longevity, having been together almost 11 years. There are strong drives keeping this band together. Mostly, it’s comfort.

“It’s kind of like an old pair of shoes you put on and you just kind of know where everything is,” Cline said. He also relates it to being in a family: “You know where your place is.”

Barlup, however, has the most straightforward advice. He said, “If you want to be in a band, start a band, stay in the band, and never quit.”