After a 1-1-1 start, the Ohio State women’s soccer team has won six consecutive games by a combined score of 17-2. They appear to be hitting their stride at the right time, as Big Ten play starts with rival Michigan Sunday.
Sophomore defender Danielle Scoliere said the slow start may have been just what the team needed.
“Our loss to Pitt really woke us up,” she said. “We knew we were better than that. Then we went out west, competed with some good teams and went from there.”
Key to the Buckeyes’ resurgence has been senior goalkeeper Lauren Robertson, who recently broke OSU’s all-time shutout record and was named the Big Ten defensive player of the week. However, she knows conference play will mean tougher competition.
“We’re gonna’ get bumped and bruised in the Big Ten,” Robertson said. “But if we continue to play the game that we’re playing, team defending, finishing our chances, that’s what’s going to put us over the top.”
In last season’s game against Michigan, the team was shut out in Ann Arbor, 2-0. But 2009 is a different season, as Ohio State will take the field as the No. 21 in the nation, while Michigan has struggled to a .500 record thus far.
The team knows this will be a good chance at revenge for last year’s loss and it doesn’t seem they’ll have any trouble getting motivated for it.
“It’s a huge game,” said Scoliere.  “And I mean, it’s Michigan. Everyone hates Michigan.”
The Buckeyes will face the Wolverines 1 p.m. Sunday at Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium.