Sometimes the greatest realities begin with a simple dream. Jantel Lavender and her teammates have the opportunity to make her dream a reality with a little effort.

“I had a dream that it was us there [at the national championship],” Lavender said. “The little streamer-things were coming down and we were screaming and hugging.”

For Jim Foster’s Ohio State women’s basketball team, this isn’t some mere flight of fancy. 
This season, he will be fielding a strong core of players with four returning starters, including last year’s Big Ten Freshman of the Year Samantha Prahalis, and Player of the Year, Lavender.

Lavender and Prahalis afford Foster the kind of guard-post tandem that most basketball coaches wait their whole careers for. Both have been named to the 2009-10 Preseason watch list for the Wooden Award, given annually to the top player in women’s basketball.

Joining Prahalis and Lavender as returnees to the starting lineup are junior Brittany Johnson and senior Shavelle Little, the two-time Big Ten Defensive Player of the Year.

This is a team that won both the Big Ten regular season and tournament titles and advanced to the Sweet 16 in the NCAA women’s tournament last year.

The elevated expectations are not just percolating around the OSU locker room. This year’s team appears in the top three of two preseason publications, Lindy’s and Athlon.

When asked about his two star players, Foster credited their international experience.

“I think Jantel and Sammy [Prahalis], by their USA basketball experiences, have proven themselves to be upper-level players,” Foster said. “They have played in competitions that judge who is the best in the world at their age group.”

Lavender has accumulated many individual awards, but refuses to be content with her past accomplishments.

“I really want to be able to get the rebound under the basket and push the ball up the floor. [I] even [want to be] shooting threes; I’ve been shooting threes all summer,” Lavender said. “Those two things will take my game to the next level.”

Prahalis said she feels like she has room for improvement as well.

“I think it’s important to be a more consistent jump shooter and being a little bit smarter player,” Prahalis said. “I’m trying to be a little more vocal.”

The team will also be supported by an influx of young talent this season. There are four incoming freshmen. Among them are Aleksandra Dobranic, a 6’4″ center from Novi Sad, Serbia and Tayler Hill, a McDonald’s All-American in high school and the sister of men’s player P.J. Hill.

Lavender and Prahalis both made an impact as freshmen and coach Foster is open to the idea of contribution from his new players.

“If you are a great player, room is made for you,” Foster said. “Everyone works hard and those deserving will play.”

With the season opener looming on Nov. 13, Foster will begin play with something old and something new. It will be his mission to find the right mix to achieve the lofty goals he has set for his team.

If he does, it could be the type of season that dreams are made of.