Under the direction of second-year coach Nick Myers, the men’s lacrosse team face the Blue Jays in a scrimmage on Friday.

Myers is excited to have the Johns Hopkins lacrosse team making the trip to Columbus, but the focus is all about Ohio State.  

Myers was the top assistant for three years before taking on the coaching position. His 2009 season peaked when the 8-8 team earned a spot in the Great Western Lacrosse League championship game.

“We have only had ten practices due to the late start with the quarter system, so the schemes are very basic right now,” Myers said. “We have been very excited about the energy level in practice and how hard the men have been going this first week.” 

This year, Myers has the challenge of integrating 17 incoming freshmen to the core of the team.

“The freshmen are adapting very nicely and many of these guys are fighting for top positions, which obviously is great to see from freshmen,” sophomore defender Brock Sorensen said.

Sorensen came to play for the Buckeyes from Peterborough, Ontario, where he was the captain of the Under-19 Canadian team. 

“I chose to come to Ohio State because of the great history of the school,” he said. “I also chose Ohio State because of the passionate coaching staff. We have the same interests, which include winning a national championship.” 

Moving across the field quickly, with both transitioning and ball handling, are some of the team’s strengths.

“Our main strength would have to be how tight we are as a team. We are a family,” Sorensen said.

Initial areas for improvement lie in leadership. Captains have yet to be determined, but the Buckeyes plan to use their cohesiveness and are excited to face Johns Hopkins.

“We have been going hard at each other for the last three weeks,” Sorensen said. “Our practices are very intense so I think that helps to assist in the game-like situations we will be presented with.”  

Johns Hopkins has 44 national titles, nine NCAA Division I titles, 29 United States Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association titles and six Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association titles.

The Buckeyes know they face the best team in the country. Friday’s match will be the true test to see how Ohio State measures up. 

Aside from challenging Johns Hopkins on the field, the team looks forward to raising money for the Michael Robert Breschi Memorial Athletic Scholarship Fund. The scholarship was created in memory of Michael Robert Breschi, the son of former OSU lacrosse coach Joe Breschi, according to a press release from OSU. Michael passed away in 2004 at the age of three.

“The opportunity to honor Michael Robert Breschi and raise money for the scholarship fund here at OSU is very special to the whole lacrosse family,” Myers said. 

The Buckeyes will meet the Blue Jays at Upper Arlington High School Friday at 7 p.m.