After ending their three game skid with a shutout victory against No. 4 Denver, the Ohio State men’s hockey team (1-3-0) will go on its first road trip of the season against the Lake Superior State Lakers (4-1-0).

OSU started off its season on a low note by getting swept in a two-game series by the unranked Quinnipiac Bobcats at the Schottenstein Center.

But the win over Denver at Nationwide Arena should steer the Buckeyes in the right direction. Their next opponent will be their second conference contest of the season.

Lake Superior State is coming off of a disappointing 2008-2009 season as they finished with a 9-21-5 overall record, including an 8-16-4 CCHA record. The team’s CCHA preseason ranking was 10 out of a total of 12 conference teams.

A stat that defined their unproductive season was their 1-12-0 record in games decided by one goal.

A positive note for the Lakers is that they return seven of their eight defensemen, but they also lose three of their top five goal scorers from last season.

Key returning players for Lake Superior State are senior forward Zac MacVoy and sophomore forward Fred Cassiani. Also returning is senior goaltender Pat Inglis, who had a 2.01 goals allowed per game average last season.

The Lakers have looked to turn the page from their past season, as they have started their season with a 4-1-0 record and are currently riding a three game winning streak.

The Buckeyes split their last series versus the Lakers last season, losing 7-3 and winning 4-2 at the Schott.

“Based on last year, they are a big and physical team,” sophomore defenseman Matt Bartkowski said. “They really took it to us here. We are just going to try to go in there, punish them, and win.”

Coach John Markell said junior Dustin Carlson will start at goalie over sophomore Cal Heeter for Friday’s contest, but he hasn’t decided who will start the second game of the series.

“It’s great that we have two goalies ready to go and they will battle it out,” Markell said.

“The key for them is that the team that plays in front of them plays hard no matter who’s in the net.”

Markell believes that his two goalies are in a “healthy competition.” Both goaltenders have played a game in their two opening series.

When asked if Markell needed a true number one goalie, he said he just needs a guy in that position to play well.

The Buckeyes will be competing without junior forwards Hunter Bishop and Kyle Reed, both out with injury. Markell believes that this will give other athletes on his team a great chance to gain more experience on the ice.

Both contests this weekend will be played at 7 p.m.