Last Tuesday’s election gave Republicans a reason for optimism and a blueprint for success in the future, particularly in 2010. While some media elites argue that the party needs to move toward the middle, the American people are requesting just the opposite.

Chris Christie’s gubernatorial win over incumbent Jon Corzine in New Jersey is especially astounding. President Barack Obama carried the liberal state by more than 14 points a year ago. This year, the state leaned conservative.

Likewise, Virginia’s contest for governor resulted in a landslide 18-point victory for conservative Bob McDonnell. While Virginia historically has been more competitive than New Jersey, it also leaned in favor of Obama in 2008.

In recent years, the GOP has handled momentum poorly. That is precisely how they lost their majority in 2008. The party traded principles for glory and thus abandoned the ideals that got them elected in the first place.

That happened again this year in New York’s heavily publicized 23rd congressional district. The record books will show that Democrat Bill Owens defeated conservative Doug Hoffman by four points — a loss for conservatism. Again, the media elites began chirping. They said the Republicans lost the election because Hoffman entered the race late and took votes away from Republican Dede Scozzafava.

Their argument is partially correct in that Hoffman did take votes away from Scozzafava, eventually forcing her to exit the race. But the party truly lost the election because they did not nominate Hoffman in the first place. Instead they nominated pro-choice, tax-heavy Scozzafava who, after dropping out of the race, endorsed Democrat Bill Owens. That is like nominating a former tax cheat to be Secretary of the Treasury. Oh wait…

Had the Republican Party backed Hoffman from day one, he would have ridden away on a golden stallion. But therein lies the problem with the party; they give up their backbone to be liked and constantly seek approval from the mainstream press, which is like squeezing a peach for grape juice.

In reality, they must realize the opportunity they have been given. A year ago, saying the Republican Party will never see the light of day again was a fairly legitimate and believable argument. Fast-forward 12 months and see a 26-year-high unemployment rate, an indecisive president in Afghanistan and an attack on every aspect of our individual freedom, and people are again seeking change.

Now is the perfect time for the Republican Party to separate itself from the Left. Instead of taking advice from the out-of-touch liberal media that beg the GOP to drift to the middle, they must stand their ground and do just the opposite. If the middle is so pristine, why is the Democratic Party not criticized for moving so far left?

Republicans need to tune out the Sunday morning hee-haw and embrace the roots of conservatism. The American people are asking for it. It’s the least they can do.