Despite wet and gloomy weather, around 15 Ohio State activists lined up along High Street Wednesday to speak out against the proposed Stupak Amendment.

The protesters gathered in front of the Wexner Center for the Arts to collect signatures on a petition against the amendment, which would “ban private and public health insurance that covers abortion care for millions of women,” according to a pamphlet from Planned Parenthood.

Jon Plappert, a student in communication, was one of the first to sign the petition.

“I’ve always felt that people should always have a choice no matter what,” he said. “We should have the right to choose whatever is right for us.”

Leah Apothaker, a first-year in political science, held a sign in the shape of a tombstone that read “R.I.P. Reproductive Rights” and asked people to sign the petition.

“I’m not going to be silenced. If I can get one person to sign the petition and give them information, that’s what I want to do,” she said. “Obama promised us we wouldn’t lose our rights with the new health care plan. I’m gonna hold him to it.”

The reaction of the people passing by was positive, said Ellen Weissfeld, a third-year in political science and one of the organizers of the protest. Weissfeld is the president of VOX, voices for planned parenthood at Ohio State. Members of VOX and other groups participated in the event.

“People are eager to get involved and show support,” she said.
She said passage of the Stupak Amendment would be a setback to women’s reproductive rights.

Weissfeld said about 30 signatures were added to petitions.

“The Stupak amendment will prohibit millions of women from using their own personal money to buy private health insurance that provides comprehensive reproductive benefits,” she said.