Ohio State is off to a 7-1 start, but will be without junior guard Evan Turner for the next eight weeks, the team announced Saturday in a press release. Turner was injured early in the first half of Saturday’s 111-60 win over Eastern Michigan when he was fouled attempting a dunk. Turner leads the Buckeyes in just about every statistical category, including points, rebounds and assists.

Here is the press release, from the OSU athletic communications department:

COLUMBUS, Ohio– Ohio State junior guard Evan Turner has been diagnosed with a transverse process fracture on the second and third lumbar vertebra of his spine. He is expected to miss the next eight weeks, Vince O’Brien, athletic trainer for the Buckeyes’ men’s basketball team, said.

Turner sustained the injury early in the first half of Ohio State’s 111-60 victory over Eastern Michigan Saturday. Turner landed on his back after a dunk attempt. He left the court under his own power before going to the Ohio State Medical Center for tests. He was released from the facility and is home resting.

Turner left the game with four points in seven minutes.

After eight games, Turner led Ohio State in scoring (18.5 ppg.), rebounding (11.4 rpg.), assists (47), field goals (62) and free throws made (22). He is shooting 61 percent from the field (62-102) and was the only Big Ten player averaging a double-double.

Ohio State is off the next week for final exams and will resume competition at noon Dec. 12 at Butler.