“And the winner of the National College Player of the Year is…”

Evan Turner?

“That’s a privilege and I’m blessed to be considered amongst the top players      in the country but I’m not really thinking about it,” Turner said.

While Turner may not be thinking about it, the college basketball world has been thinking about it. Many college basketball fans and media consider Ohio State’s junior guard a Player of the Year candidate along with Kentucky freshman John Wall, Texas senior Damion James and Syracuse junior Wesley Johnson.

However, one wouldn’t know Turner was even a candidate just by talking to him. In fact, he’s far from optimistic on the matter.

“I doubt I’ll win the award or anything like that,” he said.

Take off the Ohio State jersey and he would just be your average college student. 

But he clearly is not an average college student, or even your average basketball player.

After a breakout sophomore campaign, Turner made the position switch to point guard during the offseason and has become one of the most difficult matchups in the country.

Turner, who averages nearly a double-double per game, is the centerpiece of the Ohio State offense and elevates the game of those around him. When Turner was out of the lineup with broken vertebrae in his back, the level of play dropped significantly. Ohio State had a 3-3 record without Turner, with their wins coming against less talented opponents. 

But now with his return, Turner has resumed his role as the focal point for opposing defenses and fans, as evidenced by a crude West Virginia student section on Saturday. 
Turner isn’t bothered by his higher profile in the college basketball world.

“Obviously, it comes with the territory and I’m not worried about that, just playing basketball and getting the job done,” Turner said.

One would think being part of the Player of the Year conversation, Turner would watch some highlights and have some thoughts on some of the other candidates.

“I think Diebler is shooting well from the three, Buford is hitting shots,” Turner said, drawing laughs. “But honestly all I worry about is the Ohio State Buckeyes. There are great players around the Big Ten and all around the country, but I can’t say I have been [following].”

Hearing every day that you are one of the best basketball players in the country can balloon many egos, but Turner is humbled by the accolades, even showing some embarrassment addressing the matter.

“It’s very different. You work for that type of respect and you get it and its like ‘Wow,'” Turner said, shifting uncomfortably in his seat. “You are real blessed and fortunate to get it but at the same time you know it’s cool to have that respect amongst your peers.”

Turner also always sees the opportunity to improve his game, no matter what he has heard from people around him surrounding Player of the Year talk.

“I’ve been improving in practice every single day since I was a freshman and I’ve been learning since I’ve had a ball in my hand when I was little,” he said.

For the down-to-earth Turner, being a candidate or even winning Player of the Year isn’t in the overall scheme of things.

“Sometimes it just doesn’t really mean anything at the end of the day,” he said. “It’s not how we start, it’s how we end.”