Most people see former Ohio State basketball star Greg Oden as many things, but not as a work of art. The artists whose work is being displayed at a new Wexner Center exhibition would beg to differ.

“Hard Targets” is a multimedia exhibition that explores masculinity and sports. The show seeks to challenge the traditional stereotype of athletes as aggressive, competitive and emotionally distant.

The exhibit includes sculpture, video, photography, installation and painting. Oden makes his appearance in a watercolor portrait, and other sports figures, such as French soccer star Zinedine Zidane, appear in other works.

Wexner curator of exhibitions Christopher Bedford used his background as both an athlete and an art historian to put the show together, said Karen Simonian, director of Media and Public Relations.

“He noticed that the world of art and the world of sports rarely mix,” she said. “He wanted to change that.”

Most of the 21 artists displaying work in the exhibit are American, but some hail from European countries, including Germany and the Czech Republic. None are from the Columbus area, but one artist took portraits at a local high school for her series on football players and football landscapes.

While this is the first time these nearly 70 works have all appeared together, the Bradford had previously organized smaller versions of the show under different titles.

“This is a much fuller version, a more accurate representation of the curator’s vision,” Simonian said. “The works are borrowed from all over — museums, collectors and galleries from all over the world.”

The Wexner’s focus on contemporary arts makes its galleries an ideal venue for a sports exhibition.

“For us, it makes perfect sense because sports are such an element of contemporary life and culture,” Simonian said. “It’s ubiquitous.”

In order to capitalize on the Columbus community’s high-octane collegiate sports culture, the center is trying a series of creative marketing techniques to reach out to a different audience.

Archie Griffin and Jim Tressel have appeared in public service announcements touting the exhibit, to be played at OSU basketball games. Guests who bring a ticket stub from an OSU athletic event will get two-for-one gallery admission. Tickets are $5 for general public, free for students and members.

“We want as many new faces here as possible,” Simonian said. “We’re hoping that sports fans of all stripes will venture into the Wexner Center.”

The Wexner staff hopes that “Hard Targets” will inspire guests to take a fresh look at one of the most pervasive parts of American life.

“There is some really remarkable, elegant and provocative art in here,” Simonian said. “I think people might leave the show and might not be able to look at a sports image the same way again.”

“Hard Targets” will run until April 11. Gallery hours and admissions information is available at wexarts.org.