The powerful musical score of “Carmina Burana” has become a darling of pop culture, used excessively in movie trailers and commercials, such as a series of Gatorade commercials in 2007. BalletMet hopes to restore the score’s musical integrity in its performance inspired by the song.

The song “Carmina Burana” is actually based on a collection of medieval poems which express both the good and bad of the pleasures in life, including fortune, drinking, gambling and lust.

Choreographer Dwight Rhoden’s physical adaptation of “Carmina Burana” expresses these pleasures through the dancers. His choreography is intense and sexual, embodying the verses of the song, including the well-known “O Fortuna.”

“I would say that [the choreography] at all times matches the level of intensity of the music,” BalletMet dancer Annie Mallonee said. “Dwight’s movement is nonstop. He has something for every moment. There is not a note he leaves undone.”

The sets and costumes in “Carmina Burana” contribute to the intensity of Rhoden’s choreography. Dancers climb on pipes from the set and use benches and water troughs as props in the performance, Mallonee said.

As for the costumes, there may be more skin shown than actual fabric.
“Materials with cutouts … topless, skirts, all sorts of things are going on. This ballet is very sexual,”  Mallonee said.

Preceding the performance of “Carmina Burana,” BalletMet dancer Jimmy Orrante will premiere his ballet “Coming Into View.” Orrante has choreographed works for BalletMet before, including “The Great Gatsby” in 2009.

“Coming Into View” is inspired by and performed to the music of French composer René Aubry.

“The movement is very organic,” Mallonee said. “I love Jimmy’s musicality and the way he involves our dancing in the music. The shapes and sounds of music he visualizes in his head.”

Both “Coming Into View” and “Carmina Burana” present audiences with dance styles that differ from the traditional notion of ballet.

“I think [the performances] will expand people’s minds to see that dance isn’t always easy and beautiful looking. It is athletic, as much as being on a playing field,” Mallonee said.

“Carmina Burana” and “Coming Into View” will be performed at the Capitol Theatre March 5 through 13. Performances begin at 7:30 p.m. on March 11 and at 8 p.m. on all other dates.

Tickets start at $25 and can be purchased through CAPA at (614) 469-0939 or through ticketmaster.com. Student rush tickets are also available for $15 at the door.