Gabriel Iglesias isn’t fat; he’s fluffy.

The hefty comedian will make that clear when he performs his stand-up comedy at the Palace Theatre on April 9. The show will be part of “The Fluffy Shop Tour” presented by Comedy Central.

Known to his fans as the “fluffy” comic, Iglesias will use the tour to focus on personal topics other than the amusing anecdotes of his daily life. His “strange” relationship with his brother, his health and meeting his estranged father after 30 years are some of the focal points.

“It’s going to be a different show,” Iglesias said. “It’s really personal this time, but it still has the same style.”

A native of Long Beach, Calif., the 33-year-old Iglesias has become one of the most successful stand-up comedians in recent years. The Hawaiian shirt-wearing comic has distinguished his performances by refraining from shock humor, instead telling clean, animated stories about himself by using his uncanny ability to recreate sound effects and other voices.

Unlike most stand-up comedians who write jokes and fictional stories for their shows, Iglesias chooses to tell real stories from his personal life, keeping his performances from becoming stagnant and unoriginal.

“Nobody can say that I’m not original,” Iglesias said. “Everything is based on reality. I can’t write a joke to save my life, so I talk about what really happens to me.”

Some of the topics Iglesias frequently discusses are his family, friends and race relations. Being Mexican-American, he does not want his reputation to be based solely on his ethnic background. At the same time, he refuses to compromise his performance when dealing with subjects of race.

“I’m not big for political correctness,” Iglesias said. “I try to make it silly; not to shock you. I make it clear that I’m talking about friends and that I’m not trying to be offensive.”

Of all the topics Iglesias jokes about, his most popular shtick deals with his heavyset frame, for which he was given the moniker “Fluffy” by his mother. His “Six Levels of Fatness,” which outlines the range of sizes for larger people, has become one of his most popular routines. Instead of letting his weight make him angry or depressed, he remains jovial and genuinely funny while talking about it on-stage.

“I point out some of the positives,” Iglesias said. “I’m not like one of those huge people you see on the Discovery Channel crying ‘I don’t know what happened.’ I know what happened. There is a book about what happened. It’s called ‘Menu.'”

Making his professional stand-up debut in 1997, Iglesias first gained fame while performing for Nickelodeon’s “All That” in 2000. He has appeared on several TV shows including “Last Comic Standing,” “Comedy Central Presents” and “Family Guy.” Despite his fame, Iglesias thinks it’s important that he does not let his celebrity persona detach him from his fan base.

“I’m the people’s comedian,” Iglesias said. “When people leave my show they know who they came and saw. They always have a good vibe.”

The performance will begin at 8 p.m. Tickets can be purchased from any Ticketmaster outlet.