A person does not need to cross the Atlantic to experience St. Patrick’s Day in Dublin. In fact, they barely have to leave Columbus.

Dublin, Ohio, is hosting its annual St. Patrick’s Day Celebration March 13. The event is part of the city’s commitment to Irish tradition and has been held for about 80 years.

Dublin, located about four miles north of Ohio State, was neither named by Irish settlers nor vastly populated by Irish people. But the spirit of Ireland is present in every corner of the city. The street names, architecture and landscape all were adopted in the Irish image.

“It’s really about the Irish attitude, which is one that people associate with hospitality,” said Mary Jo DiSalvo, events administrator for the city of Dublin.

The celebration begins with a pancake breakfast early in the morning.

Following the breakfast, people usually disperse to areas throughout the parade route. An Irish band named “The Hooligans” performs for the crowd of people for about an hour.

At 11 a.m., the St. Patrick’s Day Parade begins. This year’s parade features over 100 units, including bands, floats, jugglers and horses.

“We line it up to maximize the excitement factor for the viewers that are along the parade route,” DiSalvo said.

Events later in the day include bands, dances and even a kilt contest.

Irish food and beverages, like tea, scones and potato chowder will be served throughout the day. Many shops and restaurants will feature sales during the weekend.

Each year’s celebration has a Grand Leprechaun, or someone who acts as the figurehead for the event. Clay Rose, a lifetime resident of Dublin, was chosen by previous Grand Leprechauns to fill the position, exactly 25 years after his father received the same honor.

He said his main responsibilities are to positively represent the city of Dublin and to help judge the winning parade float.

“Other than that, it is just smiling and waving during the parade, not making too much of a fool of myself otherwise,” Rose said.

He will serve as the city’s Grand Leprechaun for a full year, before selecting next year’s winner.

Dublin’s Irish pride is not limited to St. Patrick’s Day. The city’s most popular event is its Irish Festival, which has existed for 23 years. It shares many similarities with the St. Patrick’s Day Celebration. One major difference, however, is that it lasts for three days. This year’s festival is from Aug. 6 through 8.

The St. Patrick’s Day Celebration is March 13 from 10 a.m. to 9 p.m.