There will be a study room built in the shape of a lantern in the new Union at Ohio State. The Stanley D. Gottsegen Study Lounge will open March 29 for students who need a peaceful place to do homework.

The room was built after several students expressed the need for somewhere quiet to study on campus, said Tracy Stuck, assistant vice president for Student Life and director of the Ohio Union.

“Throughout the Union there are many gathering spaces where students can congregate, meet, relax and have fun,” Stuck said. “This area, though, is designated for those who need an environment that is well-suited for concentration.”

The area the room is in was built like a lantern to commemorate Ohio State’s history, Stuck said. It was made to honor the Underground Railroad path that actually crossed through the part of campus where the Union is located.

“During the design phase for the building, we spent a lot of time in the university archives, and we found out that the Ohio Union sits on one of the paths of the Underground Railroad,” Stuck said.

The path began at the Olentangy River and ended at the Kappa Sigma house, she said. The study room is on the third floor of the southeast side of the building.

The symbolic architecture of the study room will illustrate OSU’s commitment to diversity, Stuck said.

“Given this legacy and how important diversity is to Ohio State, we felt strongly that we should make a statement through our building that all are welcome at Ohio State and the Ohio Union,” Stuck said. “We thought that fashioning a portion of our building in the shape of a lantern would be reminiscent of the Underground Railroad and also be a symbol of our culture of inclusiveness.”

The study room will open the same day as the new Union at 12 p.m. The room will feature furniture, natural lighting and study and computer areas.

“The lounge will be a dedicated quiet study space where students can focus on their homework, prepare for tests or simply enjoy the calming environment,” Stuck said.