The Columbus Symphony Orchestra has entered into a five-year agreement with the Columbus Association for the Performing Arts to outsource its back office operations. Starting Monday, CAPA will manage the symphony’s finance, IT, accounting, ticketing and human resources functions as well as marketing and promotions.

CAPA, a nonprofit owner and operator of performing arts and entertainment venues, lists “to support local arts organizations through partnership and collaboration” as part of its mission. For the symphony, partnering with CAPA is expected to save $750,000 in the 2010-2011 season.

“We have a lot of experience in these relationships, but the CSO is a large operation, which is what makes this such a big event,” said Chad Whittington, Controller of CAPA. The company provides similar administrative services to the Contemporary American Theatre Company, Phoenix Theatre for Children, Franklin Park Conservatory and the Lincoln Theatre.

Whittington said he believes the general economy is what led the symphony to CAPA.
“Not just the symphony but the arts groups in general have been impacted by the economic downturn,” Whittington said. “Ticket sales and contributions are critical to the symphony. When times get tough, people have to cut back on expenses.”

“In the short-term, we are looking to help stabilize the CSO’s operations,” Whittington said.
This is the latest in a series of moves the symphony is making to become more sustainable. Earlier this month, the symphony’s musicians voluntarily voted to accept a 23 percent pay cut for the 2010-2011 season. This pay cut will save an additional $1 million.
In announcing the restructured agreement, symphony CEO Roland Valliere commended the musicians for “making sacrifices that will allow them to continue to provide high quality symphonic music to the community.”

The symphony announced in March the shortening of the season from 38 weeks to 25. In addition, the symphony plans to eliminate five weeks of contracted services, three weeks of paid vacation for musicians and five weeks of other concerts.

With these changes, the 2010-2011 budget will be reduced to $7 million from an earlier projected $8.75 million.

“The CSO has been operating on a very thin staff, so CAPA is hoping to help them build or improve their operations,” Whittington said.

The symphony will not be making any large changes for the rest of 2010, Whittington said.
“We want to make sure we know the best way to move forward before making any big changes,” Whittington said.

To help support the partnership, the symphony will make Bill Conner, president and CEO of CAPA, the volunteer managing director and CEO of the symphony. Roland Valliere will remain symphony president and will add the title of chief creative officer.

Changes to the rest of the symphony staff will occur four to six months from now, but it isn’t clear what they will be, Whittington said.

According to CAPA, the changes to the symphony will be operational, and programming will remain the same.

“Our main focus,” Wittington said, “is to find the most sustainable way to cut expenses and provide live quality classical music to the Columbus community over the long term.”