There are still 26 rooms in the Ohio Union whose names are up for grabs. For nearly a million dollars, a donor or organization can give a room its namesake.

But there is more to it than just cash — it starts with enthusiasm for Ohio State and a desire to give back.

“The most exciting thing about the gifts is the number of younger donors,” said Colleen C. Garland, assistant vice president for fundraising in the Office of Development. “And gifts always begin with a connection to OSU Student Life.”

That connection can be as an alumnus, but it doesn’t have to be. For instance, an anonymous non-alumnus, who loves OSU and admires Archie Griffin, provided $2 million to name the Archie Griffin Ballroom after the famous buckeye.

Prices of rooms range from $75,000 to more than $20 million. The latter figure would stamp the donor’s or organization’s name above the front door until the building is razed.

Donations can be made up front but can also be pledged over five years.

“Even undergrads can pledge with a program we have,” said John Waggoner, president of Sigma Phi Epsilon Alumni Board. Groups, such as fraternities, can divide the donation among their members. Sigma Phi Epsilon sponsored a room on the third floor of the Union.

Naming a room requires a signed donor agreement, background screening and approval by the Board of Trustees.

Reserving the right to name a room means it is held aside, but not indefinitely.

“If another donor wants the room, we’ll notify whoever reserved it,” Garland said. “It may give them a push to go ahead.”

The gift is tax deductible under IRS rules for certain organizations. In addition to naming rights, donations of more than $2,500 provide membership to the President’s Club.

Dollar amounts for naming rooms are based on several factors, one of which is the old real estate maxim. Also, new guidelines dictate that amounts roughly correspond with construction costs.

“The figure must be a minimum of one-third of the cost to build the room,” Garland said.

One unnamed room is the Student Government office, available for $50,000 dollars.