Construction will begin April 5 on Cannon Drive and 10th Avenue as part of ProjectONE, the Ohio State Medical Center’s $1 billion expansion and renovation project.

The construction on Cannon Drive and 10th Avenue is expected to be done by summer, according to a news alert from OSU’s Transportation and Parking Services Web site.

Construction will reduce the area of Cannon Drive between John Herrick Drive and Medical Center Drive near the OSU Medical Center to one lane in both directions.

The Polo Lots, parking lots west of Cannon Drive, will lose 50 parking spaces April 5 and another 150 spaces by mid-April.

The effects of the construction, such as traffic delays and parking shortages, are expected throughout campus.

The construction will cause delays for buses and traffic, said Sarah Blouch, director of Transportation and Parking Services.

Police officers will be posted at important intersections to help move traffic through the area, Blouch said in an e-mail.

More construction will begin April 7.

The additional construction will restrict traffic to one eastbound lane on 10th Avenue in front of the South Cannon Garage. Traffic leaving the South Cannon Garage must travel eastbound, using 10th Avenue to Westpark Street, according to the OSU’s Transportation and Parking news alert.

In addition to the road construction near the medical center, slated interstate construction will also affect some commuters.

Construction will reduce the section of Interstate 71 over Second Avenue to two lanes for three weeks starting April 11.

Three weeks later, it will be restricted to three lanes for three weeks.

The project will close the entrance ramps to I-71 South at Fifth and 11th avenues by April 9. It will close the entrance ramps to I-71 North at Broad and Long Streets by April 10, said Nancy Burton, spokeswoman for the Ohio Department of Transportation.

The $783,000 construction project aims to replace the abutment, or end walls, of the I-71 bridge over Second Avenue, Burton said.

“We want to get the information out to inform people that they might have to allow for extra time or that there are alternate routes to get around the work zone,” Burton said.

The detour will take southbound traffic from 17th Avenue to I-71 South or Summit Street to I-670 East to I-71 South. It will take northbound traffic from Fourth Street to I-670 East to I-71 North, Burton said.

According to the Ohio Department of Transportation Web site, state Route 315, state Route 3, I-670 and Interstate 270 are available alternate routes.