Gold Motel, a southern California-based indie band, formed when friends Greta Morgan and Dan Duszynski began recording music in August 2009.

It has since become a collaboration of five members from three separate bands: The Hush Sound, The Yearbook and This Is Me Smiling.

Bandmates Morgan, Duszynski, Eric Hehr, Adam Kaltenhauser and Matt Minx have toured and played shows together in the past. In December, the five friends played their first show as Gold Motel.

Morgan, 22, previously of The Hush Sound, is the vocalist and pianist for Gold Motel.
“Our music is smart pop that’s modern but with a nostalgic tinge,” Morgan said.

She started her musical training when she was young. Her mother had her start piano lessons when she was 2 years old.

“I could write sheet music before I could write the alphabet,” Morgan said.

She continued her musical career, singing and playing keyboard for bands as well as playing solo.

Morgan sang on three albums of The Hush Sound. She also sang guest-vocals on several tracks for Seattle-based band Forgive Durden. Now she is focusing on her new project, Gold Motel.

Gold Motel released a self-titled EP in December 2009. The band’s first full-length album, “Summer House,” is due out on June 1. Exclusive tracks will be available for those who purchase the album from the band’s website.

“‘Summer House’ covers a lot of themes about the carelessness of summer or the carefree nature of summer of when you’re younger,” Morgan said. “It has kind of an overall hopeful, easy-going feeling to it. Then some of the songs are a little bit darker about at the end of the summer, having to let go of people, people you won’t see again and break-ups.”

A music video was recently made for “War on the Run” off the new album. It is a travel-log video from Gold Motel’s West coast tour.

Although the band has had licensing offers, it has held off on publishing its music in commercials or movies.

“I would like to be in commercials for a company like Coca-Cola or Levi’s,” Morgan said. “American tradition kinds of companies would be really good for us.”

Gold Motel is playing a summer tour with Chicago-based band Skybox. The group will be back in Ohio June 21-22 and plan on being back in Columbus by the end of the summer.

The band played a show at The Basement on Sunday with Family of the Year. It was the first time playing in Columbus as Gold Motel.