Freshman James Sweeney walked across the Oval numerous times in 1952. Fifty-eight years later, he is still making that same walk.

Sweeney’s history at Ohio State is remarkable. In his time, he has seen six football National Championships, five Heisman award winners, four Ohio State structures listed on the National Register of Historic Places, three Pistol National Championships, two pistol athletes win the Big Ten Conference Medal of Honor award, and one ultimate success: educating students.

Sweeney is 76 years old and approaching his twelfth season as coach of the Ohio State pistol team.

He graduated from Ohio State in 1957 with a degree in physical education. He later pursued a master’s in curriculum design and a doctorate in sport pedagogy (a focus on educating others how to teach sports) from Ohio State.

Ever since he got out of college, he has been putting his degree to work. Whether this is college students or collegiate athletes, Sweeney has been educating since 1958.

“I would say if there is one way to define him, in general, it is that he is a very wise person,” senior pistol member Tyler Phillips said. “If we are all paying attention, he is not only teaching us about shooting, but life as well.”

Three years ago, Sweeney was able to persuade OSU to give out scholarships for pistol recruits. This was a huge accomplishment for a small athletic program, but the recognition of scholarships was a double-edged sword for the educator.

“I liked taking walk-on’s and turning them into elite collegiate athletes,” Sweeney said. “I enjoy working with highly skilled individuals who have had previous training for years, but on the other hand, the satisfaction of teaching is not quite the same. I miss that part.”

Sweeney’s mixed feelings can be expressed through two of his players.

Phillips was a walk-on athlete from the pistol club.

“(Sweeney) introduced me to the sport,” he said. “He taught me everything I know. Not only did he talk to me about shooting, but he also taught me a lot about philosophy in the sport as well.”

Sophomore Christina Heaton was recruited as a scholar-athlete and has competed in the junior Olympics.

“I don’t talk to (Sweeney) that much personally,” Heaton said. “When we are practicing, he will give us an event to work on and we will practice.”

Though Heaton is part of a more experienced group of OSU pistol shooters, she still needed to seek advice from the coach during a big slump.

“If you have problems, you can go to him,” she said. “He sat down with me and we started from the basics…he really helped me out.”

Sweeney has been retired since 1994, but continues to teach with emeritus status.

For a man who is 76, he is in top physical shape. He walks to campus everyday, uses a car only when it is necessary and still does small physical workouts.

Even at such an old age, he is not worried about leaving Ohio State any time soon.

“I am just playing it year-by-year,” he said. “As long as I am healthy, enjoy what I do and can relate with the students, before I get too old, I have no definite retirement plans.”

Coach Sweeney has experienced a lot of Ohio State history, but, in the process, has also become a part of it.